Author Topic: pistons  (Read 989 times)

Offline davearkley

pistons
« on: Sunday,November 06, 2016, 05:00:22 AM »
Hi Guys
I have been offered a set of 77mm pistons and liners for my 71 europa with renault engine - workshop manual tells me that if the car is non exhaust emission then the bore is 76mm if its exhaust emission then its 77mm - how can you tell the difference without stripping the engine and measuring the bores.
can anyone help here

Offline jbcollier

Re: pistons
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,November 06, 2016, 05:46:40 AM »
What's the engine number?

The engine ID plate is located just above the starter.

697-04 = 76 mm

821-30 = 77 mm

Offline davearkley

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,November 06, 2016, 08:35:29 AM »
engine number is 020364232 other numbers on the plate are 821 8 702/ if this helps

Offline davearkley

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,November 06, 2016, 08:37:42 AM »
Im assuming that my pistons are 77mm due to the 821 number

Offline davearkley

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,November 06, 2016, 09:40:33 AM »
After a bit more research I have determined that the engine must have been changed at some time as the numbers dont match. The renault codes tells me that this is a 1565 renault 16 TX or TA engine with a weber 32DIR36 carb - so at first I thought this may have been a federal spec car although the V5 docs that go back to 1986 indicates a 1470cc capacity and all have the wrong engine number listed - so I believe that this is a type 65 car with the renault 1470 engine that has been changed at some point unless Lotus have been doing some odd things at this time?
As this is not the original engine - sensibility tells me to find a good engine to go in and scrap the siezed unit thats in there now. I have the VIN plate and the engine number is not stamped on the plate.  Its getting interesting

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #5 on: Sunday,November 06, 2016, 10:30:56 AM »
3.5 litre Rover V8s sound lovely !!!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,November 06, 2016, 10:32:11 AM »
Might as well start with what you have.  Pour diesel oil down the cylinders and let it soak.  Alternatives: 50% acetone/50% automatic transmission fluid, Kroil, 80% vegetable oil/20% acetone, etc.  You turn the engine over by putting it in 4th gear and pushing the car back and forth.  NEVER try to turn the engine over by turning the camshaft pulley!

Offline 4129R

« Reply #7 on: Sunday,November 06, 2016, 10:54:20 AM »
Because it breaks the Woodruff key, or breaks the pulley?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #8 on: Sunday,November 06, 2016, 02:17:58 PM »
I believe you can break the cam where it necks down to fit the pulley and the pulley's retaining nut.  The long cams are getting rather hard to find these days.

Offline davearkley

« Reply #9 on: Monday,November 07, 2016, 12:21:38 PM »
Thanks for the advice.
I'm going to try to free up the pistons and then probably replace pistons and liners. Lots of other work to do before stripping the engine.
I'm stripping out the interior and cutting all mounting bolts for the pedal board, cables, seats etc Carb is off and waiting for a refurb kit.
The seats are out and need serious repairs to the frames - I will clean up whats there and repair the rotten parts with alloy plate or fibreglass.
Runners are totally rotten and had to be cut off. Need new runners. Dash is out and all rotten carpets removed - mushy fibre body panel behind drivers seat now fixed with fibreglass - will sort passenger side while the seats are out. Floor pan is being strengthened with a good layer of glassfibre matting - It was a bit thin where the seats had been.
Body fixings are siezed and I have cut the rear fixing bolts and will be cutting off all the rest hopefully the body will be off by end of week.
Bit of movement on the drivers side door so thats going to be fun getting the hinge pivot pin out.
New engine lid arrived without hinges grilles or lock so will need those.
New rear radius arms have arrived but hub nuts are proving difficult - too much locktite - If I fit a new radius arm then I will be at least able to move the frame around as the rear wheel RHS is hanging off.
I'm also half way through a restoration of my 66 S-Type Jaguar 3.4 - just put the rear axel back in after completely refurbing the brakes and diff. and fitting new stainless exhaust - tons to do eh!! Paint next week. whooooo
Just finished a Morgan 4/4 and sold it - TR7 is 80% done and a P38 Range Rover is 90% whats next?? - dont want to get bored.

Offline 4129R

« Reply #10 on: Monday,November 07, 2016, 12:38:31 PM »
Use an electric drill to get the hinge pivot bars out. I have written about it on here.

It takes ages to cut through them with a hack saw blade.

I can drill one out in about 20 mins.

Alex in Norfolk.