Author Topic: 659R's Modification Update  (Read 1418 times)

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
659R's Modification Update
« on: Monday,July 11, 2016, 06:57:10 PM »
 :welder: 
It's been a while since I've checked into this forum, but I'd like to bring things up to date on my conversion project. 

The exterior of the car is looking more complete and is slowly growing closer to my original vision.  The part of the design that strikes me the most so far, is the transition from fender to air intake just behind the door.  From concept drawing to completed part, it turned out incredibly well.  I've begun using that section as my avatar.

The wiring comes next.

All the bits still need to be added to the body, but my primary focus this month will be the wiring.  Because of the additional circuits I'll be able to use, I've opted to go with a traditional GM wiring harness.  It's the standard U.S. Color code, plus I've marked all of the wires, using 3D printed snaps and labels (that can be snapped on and off the wires whenever I screw up or need to change the label's position or a wire's purpose).   I got put behind when I drilled the hole through the aluminum firewall where the wires go.  I nipped a brake line that now needs to be replaced.  Two steps forward, one back.  Running the wires to where they need to be shouldn't be difficult.  But getting them into the correct lengths, the proper fittings and then hooking them up correctly, I'm not too sure.   

My next messy task is to replace the stock oil pan with the billet one from Banks. It's been in its box, sitting in the corner waiting for its turn.  Then, it's the final oil change, install the exhaust and turn it over.

As soon as the windshield and interior are in, the car has to make one more trip back to the body shop to have its rear fenders flared to meet the fatter tires.  The fenders themselves only come out part way.  The rest needs to be adjusted to look correct.

This is the classic definition of a shipwright's disease project, but I'm having the time of my life doing it... Screwed up brake lines and all.   Maybe by October... Maybe not.

Regards,
Bruce
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.

Offline BDA

Re: 659R's Modification Update
« Reply #1 on: Monday,July 11, 2016, 07:43:19 PM »
Bruce, the duct really did come out well. Yours are a little different from the standard 47 ducts, but I have to say I like it better! The paint looks beautiful, too!

You're a brave man taking on rewiring your car. I considered it, but I wimped out - or maybe I was too lazy! Even with the relatively small amount of wiring in a Europa, it seemed like a daunting task. I've heard of some systems. I don't know how far down the road you are on that but in case you're still investigating, here are some links:

http://shop.infinitybox.com/Default.asp
http://www.painlessperformance.com/
https://www.amazon.com/American-Autowire-500703-Highway-Modular/dp/B003VXI3TS

Too bad about your brake line. Know you're not the first one to do that!

I know how good it feels to get to those major milestones - especially getting to when it makes noise!

Keep up the good work and keep us up to date on your progress!

:lotus:

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Monday,July 11, 2016, 09:30:11 PM »
Sometimes the alloy sumps are porous -- go ahead, ask me how I know.  It's much easier to get it sealed before you fill it with oil.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #3 on: Monday,July 11, 2016, 10:09:42 PM »
Wow Bruce, that's going to get necks turning !   It's not my style of driving but heck, that looks great and a tremendous amount of work on show.

You can be justifiably proud of where you've got to, 10/10 in my books.

Incidentally, that badge on the rear wings, is it one of your 3D prints or an enamelled keyring used as a badge ?  It's a good addition and looks perfectly at home there.

Brian

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,July 12, 2016, 06:40:29 AM »
Bruce, the car looks fantastic, love the color. It sucks that you have to do additional body work after the paint is already done. The flares will help visually with the excessive opening, in my eyes,  between the wheel wells and the tire.

I'll be very interested in seeing how you re-wire your car. I have a from scratch re-wire to do on my project and I've just started the research on auto wiring.

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca

Offline 3929R

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,July 12, 2016, 09:11:43 AM »
Congratulations on what you've finished thus far. When you started I wasn't fully on board with your concept but it really is turning out great! :coolpic:
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA