Author Topic: Nuts and Bolts......  (Read 1424 times)

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Nuts and Bolts......
« on: Friday,August 28, 2015, 09:43:40 AM »
Hi folks,

Now I'm not trying to re-invent wheels so I'll start with a question. Does anyone have, or have you found, a definitive list of nuts and bolts used in our cars ?  And if so, can someone point me at it ?

I've been tinkering with the car again and as usual when putting something back I'm looking at the bolts and thinking "I really should put some new ones in there".  But of course I don't have any to hand, I want to finish the job and so the old ones get wire brushed and go back.  Occasionally I'll have an inspired thought, do some planning & buy new bolts with the parts, but mostly I just forget until I'm greasy, and then....

So this afternoon I wondered if there's a bolt list and I could simply order up a "car load" and have them in the workshop for the next un-planned maintenance.  And with all you guys doing full restorations I just wondered if there is one already.

If not, should we start one ?  I have one for the Elan, courtesy of Brian Buckland, and it's very handy but not entirely applicable for the Europa.  It could form a useful reference for the site - assuming there's not already one in existence.  Any thoughts ?

Brian

Offline jbcollier

Re: Nuts and Bolts......
« Reply #1 on: Friday,August 28, 2015, 09:49:21 AM »
Not that I know of.  They use grade 5 UNF bolts for the most part with the engine and tranny of course being metric -- French style with their fondness for M7 x 1.00.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Friday,August 28, 2015, 11:45:56 AM »
The only compiled list I'm aware of is this on by Aaron Hines relating to the twink suspension (http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/misc/ahines/suspension.html). They are AN - US aircraft/military spec - so they may not be readily available on your side of the pond and I assume you're looking for a more comprehensive list anyway.

Offline buzzer

« Reply #3 on: Friday,August 28, 2015, 02:16:34 PM »
Richard at a banks does a pack of bolts for body chassis and suspension if that helps, I think it's under body fitting kit

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #4 on: Saturday,August 29, 2015, 12:27:55 AM »
There is a place near you called Spalding Fasteners.

I have just got a whole heap of mixed UNC and UNF nuts and bolts from Wrights Auto Supplies on Coventry CV4 9AQ 02476 470377. The advertise on eBay. Just search UNC bolts, and UNF bolts.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #5 on: Saturday,August 29, 2015, 01:06:52 AM »
Hi,

Yes, I've bought the mixed bag collection from Wrights in the past and they do give a good service/value.  But rather than buy a random mix I was thinking more of targeting the areas on the car as Brian Buckland did in his book on the Elan.

For example, the front suspension for the Elan is similar to the Europa in terms of fixings, and this is how he laid it out ;

Inner Wishbones
8x 1/2" UNF Nyloc nuts

Outer Top Wishbones
4x 5/16" UNF 2 1/4" long bolts & nyloc nuts (OEM Lotus)
2x 5/16" UNF 3 1/2" long bolts (tubular wishbones)
2x 5/16" UNF 2 1/4" long bolts (tubular wishbones)

Outer Lower Wishbones
2x  1/2" UNF 2 1/2" long bolts & nyloc nuts (OEM Lotus Spring/Damper)
2x 7/16" UNF 2 1/2" long bolts & nyloc nuts (OEM Trunnion)
2x 1/2" UNF 4" long bolts  (tubular wishbones Spring/Damper)

Anti Roll Bar
2x 3/8" UNF 1 3/4" long bolts & nyloc nuts (OEM Lotus Chassis)
2x 3/8" UNF 2 1/2" long bolts & nyloc nuts (Spyder Chassis)
2x 3/8" UNF nuts for damper/AR bar attachment
2x 3/8" UNF half nuts for locking damper/AR bar attachment

Brake Disc to bearing housing
8x 3/8" UNF 3/4" long bolts

Caliper bracket to Vertical link & steering arm
4x 5/16" UNF  3/4" long machine screw hex head
2x 3/8" UNF  1 1/4" long bolts
2x 3/8" UNF  2 1/4" long bolts with nyloc nuts

Now you can read that list and get yourself a complete  rebuild kit very easily, which is where I think I'd like to be. I've checked out the ones on Ebay for Triumphs thinking they might be ok, but not everything is usable.

Brian covers every part of the elan in great detail including such oddballs as what you hold door fittings with, but I was thinking more in terms of the basic rolling chassis, drivetrain, greasy bits, etc.   If we had such a list available apart from making life easier (for me    ;)   )  and it would be a good start for guys new to the cars and doing full restorations ?

Brian

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,August 29, 2015, 06:52:25 AM »
Brian's excellent book is unique.  There's nothing like it for any other car. 

Front ends should be virtually the same between the Elan and the Europa though the Europa uses the smaller spindle and brake set up of the steel wheeled Elans.

TC engines similar as well though the water pumps point in different directions, camshaft pulley, etc.  Everything else: trannies, mounts, rear suspension, rear brakes, etc, is all different.

Don't forget that getting your stock bolts, nuts, etc re-plated is easily done.

Offline 460384

« Reply #7 on: Monday,August 31, 2015, 07:44:27 AM »
Contact Serge, I think he has a list of nuts and bolts for his S1 car.  He is a member on this site.

Tom/Colorado
Tom/Colorado

Offline Serge

• http://sleurs-motorsport.com
    • Sleurs Motorsport
« Reply #8 on: Monday,August 31, 2015, 08:12:26 AM »
I do have a list, but it's in Dutch and not 100% complete. I have it scanned somewhere, I'll try to upload it and post it here.

I get all of my nuts and bolts from Namrick in the UK.

Serge