Author Topic: Shell removal hurdle.  (Read 903 times)

Offline Gmg31

Shell removal hurdle.
« on: Wednesday,August 26, 2015, 01:02:13 PM »
i really thought I'd finished tonight but so close and not quite there. Everything is disconnected at the rear and middle and the shell lifts a couple of inches but is clearly still connected to something at the front.  I've removed thehandbrake & pedal box  and the matching plate in the floor of the passenger side.  I've removed the centre console bolts and the heater hoses and the two bolts in the plenum chamber that connect to the suspension there's no engine interior or cooling system but there's something in the front near side that is stuck, any ideas please?

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: Shell removal hurdle.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,August 26, 2015, 01:09:21 PM »
Have you removed the hand brake bell crank bolted to the chassis? Access is in the front plenum with the big round hole in the center. On mine I had to use an impact gun to get out.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,August 26, 2015, 01:20:35 PM »
When I took mine off I left the oil pipe from engine to gauge connected.  Amazing how strong those thin little plastic pipes are.....    :-[

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,August 26, 2015, 02:31:32 PM »
Handbrake done yes but oil pipe not done but it feels more like a bolt to be honest. I'll check the pipe tomorrow thanks

Offline HealeyBN7

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,August 26, 2015, 05:53:19 PM »
Did you remove the fuse holder.  It is bolted through the tunnel to the frame.  Held me up.

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,August 26, 2015, 06:54:26 PM »
Ok, dumb question: did you take care of the clutch and accelerator cables?

You do know that on an S2, the body is bolted to the frame at the inside behind the seats? There's an angle piece that mates up with the firewall for that. (Sorry hard for me to explain, but you've probably taken care of it anyway)

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,August 27, 2015, 03:22:53 AM »
Yup got all those, thanks though pleased keep guessing!! I'm off tomorrow so I'll ring Richard but he must be starting to get sick of me soon!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,August 27, 2015, 07:53:07 AM »
Everything you need to disconnect is listed in the service manual under body removal.  Go to lotus-europa.com, click on "documentation" and then on the link to the appropriate manual.

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #8 on: Friday,August 28, 2015, 01:34:29 PM »
Well it turns out my car has 1 extra bolt on top of the tunnel bolted directly into the backbone.  Even Richard didn't know about this bolt!! So eventually the shell is off and going to paint next week. The body shop is happy to take 2 months to do the work which gives me time to restore the chassis brakes and suspension