Author Topic: The story of a wide V8 powered MGB  (Read 298 times)

Offline BDA

The story of a wide V8 powered MGB
« on: Wednesday,April 12, 2023, 08:05:38 PM »
I like MGs all right but I'm not crazy about them. I'm even less crazy about them when somebody shoehorns a big V8 in one but this car is so interesting if only because of the work and workmanship the builder put into it for seventeen years! Hats off to him!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RMv8SzcHO4

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: The story of a wide V8 powered MGB
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,April 12, 2023, 10:06:30 PM »
Hi BDA,

That video came up on my Youtube suggestions as well. Very much in the "I'm going to design a car" style and although it started off as an MGB the end product is more of a hot rod/self build car in my eyes. You can't fault the work or engineering behind it, especially the way the guy made his own tools to complete the build.

I thought the MG -> GM reversal of the badges was a cute touch, but when I saw it I didn't immediately think "hey, that's an MGB".

Brian

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,April 13, 2023, 08:43:53 AM »
When you start with a car, in this case an MG, and start modifying it, at a certain point it stops being a modified MG and becomes a new car and there is precious little MG left in his car. That was really brought home to when I was talking to this guy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g67HHs0FDMM) at last year’s LOG. Nothing against him or his car, but I don’t think of it as a Europa. Some seem to think the same of my car.

My interest was similar to yours - the quality and ingenuity of the work and thought that went into it. The same goes for the guy with the Chevy Europa. I wouldn’t consider building either car even if I had the skills, the facilities, the money, and the time but I applaud their efforts and results.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,April 13, 2023, 03:19:21 PM »
  STOCK. is the KISS method, I only wish I kept to that thought.
Dakazman

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,April 13, 2023, 06:30:14 PM »
He is building  a roadster out of another Europa shell and a Fiero…..
The more I do the more I find I need to do....