Author Topic: Downtime  (Read 2660 times)

Offline dakazman

Re: Downtime
« Reply #30 on: Sunday,February 26, 2023, 02:07:16 PM »
  The irony,  3 Doors down, also my favorite heavy band, second to Bruno mars.

The rest of the pics are the engine cover ready for primer.  Then I’ll add the substructure for the prop rods. Weight in at…
Dakazman

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #31 on: Sunday,February 26, 2023, 02:17:16 PM »
3 Doors Down  8)
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline dakazman

« Reply #32 on: Thursday,March 02, 2023, 02:41:00 PM »
  I have been just playing around with some panels. Doors mostly now in primer, save the really damaged one that I re-skinned. Double veiled now. Last pic.
   On to Bonnets, I made my first complete large panel using a bonnet, as the template, for what was going to a dumpster. I'm thing of a JPS logo on one, using up my gold paint. Secondly either one of two designs, on the other. See pics. Building up the edges that were formed around the template bonnet. my nightmare was that it wouldn't keep its bow when flipped over to add material on the edges. Alas, it worked out just fine and I'll continue to build up the inner panel with one of the two designs..
Dakazman
« Last Edit: Thursday,March 02, 2023, 02:51:49 PM by dakazman »

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #33 on: Thursday,March 02, 2023, 03:18:20 PM »
Nice!

Offline dakazman

« Reply #34 on: Thursday,March 09, 2023, 02:49:04 PM »
  Pecking away at the honey doos and painted my garage and some of the exterior doors with only the front double doors to go. Weather cooperated and the winds calm. Looking forward to a cold front coming on Tuesday so I can finish the attic insulation. 2 more batts of 88 sq.ft.
  Rain possible tomorrow so I’ll finish up putting a new flex plate in the el Camino . Then replacing the leaking new power steering pump. 🥱.
  Then onward to my bike that I just finished the carb installation. Setting up chokes and then closeup.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #35 on: Monday,March 20, 2023, 03:53:11 PM »
  A bonnet is born!
   After some heavy sanding I have a start of a bonnet that I will cut up and bend into the newer Elise look only for a Europa.  Not the foose look. It almost doesn’t need the supporting cross brace.
  Working with the weather I finished my attic insulation, along with the doors and engine cover. Too windy to spray with a final coat of primer. The JPS bonnet will get a coat of gold paint which has had its second coat of primer.
  My motorcycle is assembled and it’s going through a deep cleaning and polishing before running.
Last time I polished it was about 5 years ago so I have quite a bit of work ahead of me.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #36 on: Tuesday,March 21, 2023, 06:13:38 PM »
  Finished up my old stock of primer and some other paint supplies, much more room on my shelves 🤣
    Hung my repaired , primed, panels from my ceiling and out of the way.  The bonnet the was repaired, veiled with composite was primed and painted with iridescent gold base for the JPS Livery. That will take some time to cut out the overlay so that panel will come inside my house.
  Two more panels to go, a door that was completely reskinned and a newly formed bonnet. They will just get a little more glass work and hung for later.
  After the bike and getting the elky running it will be clear sailing on the Europa.
  Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #37 on: Sunday,March 26, 2023, 03:48:51 PM »
   My peel and stick vinyl wrap came in so the JPS livery will be cut into it slowly.
 My fabricated bonnet fit snugly in place and laid down nicely. Centerline mark so that I can make the same cuts for the vents. The bobbins were also cut out of some spare aluminum I had laying around, they were pictured laying on the door. So far so good and I’m so relieved on the fit. . Not going with the foose look , just too much slope.
  The  reskinned door also sanded down and ready for prime but only when I finish the bonnet.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #38 on: Tuesday,April 04, 2023, 05:51:13 PM »
  Trying to finish up some pain in the a** jobs. Oil leaks under my El Camino main/ timing chain cover and a power steering unit that was just purchased new.
 After finding out the power steering unit does not come with the reservoir… what , so I removed the old reservoir and silver soldered the seam in tank .
  Now watching for leaks.

On another topic, my nightmare squirrels are hiding nuts one of my neighbors are feeding them .
Arghhh .  This time I’ll post pics!
   Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #39 on: Thursday,April 13, 2023, 05:40:08 PM »
  I guess I can’t win all the time .   I’ve been working on my taxes and shredding documents and going through piles of Medicare advertisements for different companies. After 3 days I emerged from my office and went back to work on my El Camino. Tightened up all the belts and topped off fluids, checked my work for leaks , arghhh, power steering reservoir still leaks. Okay I’ll try to find a pump with the reservoir. Then as I’m under the running car water started flowing all over the place. A “new” thermostat housing sprung a leak, right through the assembly not a gasket.
 Oh well, tomorrow will be another battle, but the larger front oil pan leak is gone. My ex machinists work. 
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #40 on: Friday,April 28, 2023, 04:57:39 PM »
 This is a good start to being close to finishing.
A/C system on my El Camino holding vacuum.  Tomorrow service with 134.
  Then on to making the lines for the Europa.

Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #41 on: Friday,April 28, 2023, 07:27:06 PM »
Just because a Europa looks like an El Camino (the TCs do anyway) doesn’t mean working on an El Camino is the same as working on a Europa! You have to get your priorities straight!  :)

Offline dakazman

« Reply #42 on: Saturday,April 29, 2023, 04:29:38 AM »
BDA, I missed my target date of November in which to get on the road with it. At least it has no more oil leaks and power steering case isn’t leaking. Now just ac , I promise.  I think of it as a dry run for the Europa.
  Lol,  they do look alike . Big brother and little sister.
Dave

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #43 on: Saturday,April 29, 2023, 06:13:58 AM »
I feel for you DMan! My dates are sliding by.......

Offline dakazman

« Reply #44 on: Sunday,April 30, 2023, 08:52:06 AM »
 Turbo, What was the cartoon characters name that would say, "Which way did they go" all the time?
  Trying to plan ahead is a daunting task, which bring me to another fork in the road.

A well known member, Paul, of Lotus groups brough me a care package all the way from NY. I wish I"d taken some pictures of his short visit but time slipped away. He delivered a 821 block for me and some much needed misc parts to finish up the crossflow and the pieces I have from the block that needs a line bore. We have a really good bunch of members that are in it for all the right reasons.  THANK YOU, PAUL. :trophy: :trophy:

Dakazman