Author Topic: Downtime  (Read 2611 times)

Offline dakazman

Re: Downtime
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday,February 07, 2023, 03:28:28 PM »
   I wasn’t going to go through that , I’ve been there before.
  Added so pics of the weight without paint.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday,February 07, 2023, 03:33:52 PM »
 Kendo, did you use clothor weave?
   Did you see it in the final layers after a paint job?
  dakaznan

Offline Kendo

« Reply #17 on: Tuesday,February 07, 2023, 04:22:16 PM »
Someone else had repaired the hood with cloth. And I noticed the print through for several years before starting the restoration. After repairing the front edge properly, with regular mat, skinned the whole thing with glass veil. Didn’t know about your fancy synthetic :)). Final paint is smooth, or as smooth as I can get it. I don’t have your mad polishing skills…

Offline dakazman

« Reply #18 on: Tuesday,February 07, 2023, 04:47:03 PM »
 Lol , thanks.
  I’m new to this veil , but I give it two thumbs up over the original glass fiber finish.
   It will be awhile for the final result, by then someone else will come up with a better product.
 So let’s not go into the wrapping process 🥱, not that I don’t like some of the exterior schemes they come out with it’s the repair if damaged process.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #19 on: Wednesday,February 08, 2023, 06:49:49 PM »
  Started off a so so day of paint and glass work then the grandkids and their dad went for a drive in pop pops car.  Their first ride !😃
Tomorrow is another day.
 New heater plan in play after a second look at an electric heater. Tapping into the radiator lines to a separate heater ducted into the blower fan. It’s dual input so I’ll block off whatever side I don’t want.
 Re skinned one door completely after sanding to a paper thin. Just way to many stress and impact damage. The 50” wide role of Matt came in just in time.

Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #20 on: Friday,February 10, 2023, 03:18:15 PM »
  I was able to put the first coats on these panels coated with two different veils . Both produced a very nice finish free of pinholes. The pinholes did appear on the un-coated sections making me smear primer into the voids.
  Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #21 on: Friday,February 10, 2023, 03:38:51 PM »
  More jobs came in the mail today 🥱. The dual weber throttle linkage and my carburetor diaphragms for my Honda Sabre 1100 , they were out of stock for 2 years.
  Also included the complete reskin of a door . Now to grind out the inner section to complete the repair.
  Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #22 on: Saturday,February 11, 2023, 10:21:11 AM »
  Then on to completing the door pull area repair.  This door had way too many stress cracks to do independently hence the total skin.
Dakazman

Then I had time and almost finished the engine cover.  I post pics of the weight soon.
Dakazman

Online BDA

« Reply #23 on: Saturday,February 11, 2023, 11:32:24 AM »
Tell me you didn't finish the inside (under the door card) of the doors and the underside of the engine cover!!  :huh:

Offline dakazman

« Reply #24 on: Saturday,February 11, 2023, 05:17:48 PM »
  Not finish presay, after the new skin went on the thinned original skin. Basically grinding out all damage . I did go under the door car that wasn’t there . Po cut it all out. Grinding out the interior of the door to the new skin in areas made it easier to inspect later. Erasing all the previous damage.
   The engine cover had a po repair with an abomination of material. Now it ready for any form of strut base.
   I did get to block sand the continuous strand covered door, almost perfectly strait with two coats of hi build primer. Covering you original fiberglass with a veil is a definite improvement and easier to get a good base of primer without pinholes.
   So far the composite veil uses less resin and a smoother surface, requiring less sanding. I’ll post a pic of that panel tomorrow.
  It’s much more pleasant looking at these in a usable state.

Problem is I purchased more resin to cover the engine cover, and this reskin in veil. Then I also purchased 50” wide continuous mat for another bonnet skin that I’ll turn into a foose type bonnet.
That’s a long term goal.
  Now that I knocked out some of these other problems I’ll get back to my baby.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #25 on: Wednesday,February 15, 2023, 04:12:57 PM »
  Worked on the last 2 panels , the rear lid all minor touches. The reskinned door inner panel needed the insert , it’s come along way but still needs a little more glass work and veil.
Before pic shown.
Dakazman

Offline GavinT

« Reply #26 on: Wednesday,February 15, 2023, 04:54:06 PM »
Nice work, D'man.
It just shows that even poor panels can be brought back from the dead. That's something many would find much more daunting if they were made of steel.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #27 on: Wednesday,February 15, 2023, 05:50:58 PM »
Nice work!
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline dakazman

« Reply #28 on: Thursday,February 16, 2023, 04:58:42 PM »
Thanks guys ,
   Worked on several things today squeezing in rebuilding my carbs for my motorcycle. The diaphragm’s were on back order for about a year . It needed a wash and an oil change also .
Then went on to install the intake manifold on the crossflow , posting that on my normal page.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #29 on: Wednesday,February 22, 2023, 02:09:21 PM »
  I completed a layer of continuous stand over the bonnet for a different look and purpose. It’s for the Foose look and application. Still to frail to turn over and s as did a layer and the edges.
   I also competed the repairs to the engine cover, so I decided to go for the composite veil cover on it.
This time it went much better and was able to remove all the air bubbles as I worked wetting it in .
I added the minimum of hardener to the resin to give me more time to play with the edges and the grill area.
Dakazman