Author Topic: Downtime  (Read 2610 times)

Offline dakazman

Downtime
« on: Monday,January 16, 2023, 04:38:22 PM »
  While nursing an injury I decided to work on some honey do’s. Her and the grandkids favorite Christmas ornament was jammed up by something… hmmm after taking it apart I found that I need some gearing to make it work. I found a miscellaneous bag of 90 pieces for $10. on eBay but I decided to try to narrow down a bit . I can make it a manual slide with a wheel for the kids to turn , which would probably work better.
  Another job replace a microwave door switch that was intermittent. What a pain getting to it.
So since august it’s been sitting on the floor in a spare bedroom. I went out a purchased another right away but I can’t stand throwing something out without trying to fix . So for 8$ I changed out the switch and 4 hour later resembled the microwave. Now what to do with it… I can hang it in the garage and get my coffee easily. 🤣
 I can’t wait to feel better.
Dakazman
Dakazman

Offline TurboFource

Re: Downtime
« Reply #1 on: Monday,January 16, 2023, 06:12:27 PM »
You ok?
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline dakazman

« Reply #2 on: Monday,January 16, 2023, 07:10:25 PM »
   Thanks for asking turbo,
It’s a reoccurring Piriformis muscle, yep it’s a real pain in the arse. 🥱.  Yes it’s getting better but I don’t want to push it. Doing my stretches a few times a day and sitting on ice.  A little bit of degenerative disc in my lower back that I’ve had for years thrown in also.
  Just getting old I guess , I keep telling myself,”walk it off “, but it yells back , not today, lately.

Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,January 17, 2023, 03:20:20 PM »
  Finished the wife’s’ and grandkid’s favorite Christmas toy. More interactive now that they have to turn the gear to watch the kids slide down slide. Lights work and wife happy.
 Pulled the gear shaft out and relocated to to front side . Drilled through and surprisingly got the hole for the shaft perfectly centered.
  Onward progress 🥱
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,January 18, 2023, 01:51:11 PM »
  Trying to take it easy I decided to rip into the body panels yet again. This time going after all the spider cracks and stress cracks.
  Another with a complete inner armrest section repair, and a repair to a door that the window was used as a handhold.

The doors, in the jamb area had a few along with damage when the doors sag.

This engine cover was and is a PIA having been hit from the rear and possibly been towed backwards
After spending most of the day grinding out and feathering surfaces for repair I think am almost ready to cover in the veil or composite.
Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,January 18, 2023, 02:17:12 PM »
On my driver's door (not sure why the passenger door doesn't have the same issue but it could be because it isn't opened and closed as much), there is a small crack going forward from the corner of the quarter window. It makes sense since this would be a good place for a stress riser. If you can get behind it, you might want to see if you can reinforce that corner while you're working on the doors.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,January 18, 2023, 04:36:43 PM »
  I wonder if it could be the door seal pressure behind the window flange area. A brief experiment would be to try to pull a piece of fabric behind door seal when door is shut.
Window up and someone inside to saw it back and forth to find a tight area. Just a thought. 🤔

There is not too much unused area in that cross section of the door.

Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,January 19, 2023, 02:45:31 PM »
  Another round of locating, cutting, sanding scarf cuts then refilling. Sleeping great except to scratch.
I don’t know what works better my pain killers or resins 😂 . I added in a section of the interior door pull area the next step is to clone the insert and drop it in. Can’t wait to apply the veils.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,January 31, 2023, 03:23:25 PM »
   I decided to deal with a different fiberglass today, I coated two doors with veil. one the composite and one continuous strand.
 First the composite. laying it down onto a wetted surface slowly made a huge difference with air bubbles and pulling and stretching the material.
 after applying I gave it a layer of resin and allowed to dry.
   Then the continuous, I didn't know what to expect so I wet the surface of yet another door. The veil laid down easily with no air bubbles at all , but wetting out took a few more mixtures of resin, but still no emergencies. I completed the panel and let dry . I did however apply a contrast agent to the surface of the door before applying the veil so if sanded to deep afterward, I would see the absence of the veil. which is the subject of this test.
  after drying the composite had a much cleaner and flatter surface than the strand, but could be corrected by another coat of resin.
   Then I attacked yet another door that had extensive hairline cracks grinding out the cracks in the fabric to a paper thin scarf. then on wards to the engine lid repairs. I like to clump all the grinding and sanding to one session then repairing another.
  That's where I stand .
  Dakazman
« Last Edit: Tuesday,January 31, 2023, 03:25:33 PM by dakazman »

Offline GavinT

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday,January 31, 2023, 10:17:15 PM »
Those all look pretty good, Dave.

Your last pic is a close up of the continuous filament veil.
Do you have a close up of the polyester veil, please?

Offline dakazman

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,February 01, 2023, 04:52:49 AM »
Gavin , that would be the second pic.
Dave

Offline dakazman

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday,February 01, 2023, 06:39:22 AM »
 Here are two more , first a bonnet, then a door after a light sanding with 120 while I sanded the excess around the edges off.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #12 on: Thursday,February 02, 2023, 06:55:08 AM »
  I’m totally impressed with both the composite and continuous veils. The composite and the continuous are extremely dense making to difficult to sand even with 36 grit. I managed to sand and file down to an acceptable appearance both both will get a light coat of resin.
  The composite did immediately have a better finish appearance than the strand . I accomplished my goal of finishing the resin before expiration but now need a few things to paint before the primer expires so I’ll pick up a small batch of resin to finish them . 
The first two pics are strand and the last pic composite.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday,February 07, 2023, 03:00:36 PM »
  After sanding with 80 grit the layer of resin I applied I can see why you don’t need a contrast agent.
You cannot sand through this veil, the continuous strand is very strong also but you can burn through it easier.
   I’ll be painting this bonnet and two doors tomorrow. I also have a shipment of 48” Matt coming in tonight to cover the seriously damaged door and to make another bonnet. Paint is expiring, so these 3 panels will get a coat or two . I almost finished all the repairs to an engine cover but I’ll need to put some veil on it also.
  I ordered a few hoses for my ac system so I can continue the layout.
Dakazman

Offline Kendo

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday,February 07, 2023, 03:24:18 PM »
When I veiled my bonnet (my first example of cloth print-through) my veil wasn’t wide enough to cover the whole part with one piece. So I cut two, and overlapped them by ~1/2” running front to back. It took me so long to sand down that small ridge. Veil is surprisingly tough stuff.