Author Topic: It's not click bait...  (Read 1218 times)

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
It's not click bait...
« on: Friday,May 17, 2019, 08:28:18 PM »
You have to have a passion I guess, but for me, writing has been a bit of a cross to bear.  Having to compose technical reports during my tenure with BMW North America, it's both pain and pleasure for me.
You see, those reports I generated were in the thousands. From repair manual procedures to service action bulletins, everything I touched had to be documented.  Whether it be a car the dealer had trouble diagnosing, accident, fire, lemon law, paint and warranty defects, I hit the road like Arlo Guthrie...with pictures, lines and arrows in tow. 

My responsibilities expanded after 25 years, but the reports continued.  I came to loathe writing and the mental discipline required.

I was always a voracious reader, and to that extent my love of racing and Lotus has afforded me the opportunity to fuel the team's past experiences here with you.

All of you, will decide if my topics are worthwhile, with your shared comments and views. I have always thought of sharing...especially with those who are new to the brand or, were too young to be a part of those great years.

Respectfully...
(I love posting the Pics...the research is fun...writing still sucks...your comments are the best part)   

Online BDA

Re: It's not click bait...
« Reply #1 on: Friday,May 17, 2019, 08:47:09 PM »
I have enjoyed your posts. They remind me of a few things I remembered but most of all exposed me to a lot of new information and new pictures that I didn't know. I reply to many of your posts, in part to show my appreciation, but at the same time, I am a (little) bit sensitive about being the most prolific poster (I'm not sure why) so I don't reply to all your posts. If I don't reply, it doesn't mean it wasn't of interest to me or that I wasn't appreciative.

Selfishly, I'd like you to continue your posts about Lotus racing heritage. Many of us find racing interesting and with Lotus having such a rich and colorful history, for some, it adds a bit of pride in our ownership of their road cars. Knowing that writing has turned into such a chore for you, it means that much more to me that you do it and I'll also understand if it becomes too much of a chore and not as much of a joy.

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #2 on: Friday,May 17, 2019, 10:36:12 PM »
Heartfelt Thanks BDA...
Your personal email was what I needed.
 Now, if I only get a little more reply support from the group, I promise the stories will continue to be a window of Lotus racing history for all, and a catalyst for future conversations.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,May 18, 2019, 03:55:12 AM »
Lou, I have been amazed at both the historical overview and photos you have been providing over the years. I read every posting always wondering how do you know so much about Lotus Formula One Racing.

Now I have real insight and a higher level of appreciation of your contribution. And I must say I’m very grateful for the work you do in researching and writing about the historical aspects of the cars and drivers during the glory years at Lotus.

Without knowing, you and I may have crossed paths at BMW North America. For a couple of years I did the photography for the service manual updates and slide shows for BMW. I was at the Corp` garage in Montvale a number of times, but most of my work was done at my studio where the cars were delivered.

Please do continue your efforts and I hope you enjoy the journey as much as I enjoy the regular updates and read.

Offline Roger

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,May 18, 2019, 05:20:23 AM »
Keep it up Lou, you're providing great entertainment.

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,May 18, 2019, 08:36:00 AM »
Lou, I always look forward to your posts. I'm relatively new to the world of Lotus and I've learned a great deal about "our heritage" from your posts. Please keep it up!
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline dakazman

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,May 18, 2019, 05:17:23 PM »
Exactly Lou, what Surf and certified said.
 I can understand with 40 years of documenting the very job I’ve done repairing aircraft along with the FIM or MM ref and page number. Debated and second guessed grows old.  Keep your post coming!
We know where your heart is.
Dakazman

Offline Nockenwelle

« Reply #7 on: Sunday,May 19, 2019, 02:04:52 AM »
Although I'm only an occasional reader here on the board I always check your threads for updates. I highly appreciate the detailed stories and the fantastic track side pictures.
Maybe the audience is a bit silent but I believe it is listening and very thankful about your stories. I can imagine that you would like to receive some more feedback as most probably your professional live 'audience' does not give you any.

Keep the stories and pictures coming, I like them a lot  :)

Klaus

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #8 on: Sunday,May 19, 2019, 02:27:28 PM »
Keep it up Lou, you're providing great entertainment.

To all the gang...As Fernando would say..."Muchas Grazias"

Because his moniker will now change to "Bubble Boy"....

I just watched a small American "gasoline alley" low funded effort knock out the all powerful  Mclaren Mega racing and production giant.

Keep your eyes peeled, the International racing press will have a field day to the tag line of David beating Goliath again.

Indy is a special place, where dreams so quickly made, can also be destroyed.

Now,,,Lets all sing,,,,, Back Home again in Indiana.

Online BDA

« Reply #9 on: Sunday,May 19, 2019, 06:02:01 PM »
I hope Alonso makes it this time! It would be nice to have a triple crown winner!

edit: I didn't realize Alonso had won the 24 hours of Le Mans.
« Last Edit: Sunday,May 19, 2019, 08:40:16 PM by BDA »

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #10 on: Thursday,May 23, 2019, 05:52:14 AM »
Just throwing my two cents in the pot; Lou, there are many thing to love about this wonderful forum, but your posts are among my favourite. Your shared insights are a real treasure that would be a shame to lose. I love the photos, the comments, and the stories. I appreciate the effort that goes into these posts, and given the opening post in this thread, now all the more so. I read every historic post you make.

It is a policy of mine in life, and one that can be difficult at times to honour, that speaking solely for the sake of speaking is pointless and distracting, and in the interest of good conduct should be avoided. Something along the lines of, "A wise man speaks because he has something to say, a fool speaks because he has to say something." There are a number of reasons for this which are best left to a different discussion, but the result is I don't reply to every post you make. In light of this I have hoped you understood that your posts were appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to start this thread (it probably wasn't easy) and thank you very much for the wonderful and educational historic posts. I learn something new with every one. Please, if it is not too much to ask, continue with your great addition to this excellent forum. I'm looking forward to the next one. Cheers
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Rosco5000

« Reply #11 on: Monday,May 27, 2019, 10:38:02 AM »
Lou,
Your posts are a wonderful bit of Lotus heritage.  As others have stated it is a joy to read and learn about Lotus racing history.  As one of the younger members most of this history happened before I was born in 1980 and is wonderful.  I have a passion for Lotus thanks to my dad but his history is interesting with the brand it is limited to being the Vancouver, BC dealer and some fairly local racing of wonderful cars with his business partner in the late 60's early 70's.  Your posts are encouraging me to digitize some of his pictures and give me a chance to share my family's little piece of Lotus history.  Keep it up!
Thanks
Ross
1974 Europa Special
1969 Europa S2
1970 Lotus Elan +2
1978 Austin Mini - 1275, big brakes
1991 Ford Explorer - Lifted on 33s, custom lift and radius arms
2005 Chrysler 300C - chipped, lowered 22s
2011 Cadillac Escalade - Stage 3 cam, Headers, CAI, 2,600 stall converter