Lotus Europa Forums > Members Cars

New S1B owner

<< < (9/9)

314159td:
Eh, ~1mm is usually well within the limits on OHV engines and it seems like the adjusters have it in them. The pushrod geometry is a bit more aggressive with the cam this high in the block but I'll sketch up the geometry at a later point and determine if the rocker pedestals need to be shimmed and/or shorter pushrods made. That're really not much of a skim, compared to the 3-4mm on contemporary race engines that definitely do need need them.
Head is already built up with ground seats and valves, and passes the compressed air leak check, so it's going to make its way onto an engine eventually.

jbcollier:
The minimum head thickness is not to do with CR but with position of the cam lobe on the follower.  It will still run, no problem, but cam/follower wear will be higher.  This is not a factor in frequently overhauled racing engines and I have seen a couple of successful race engines with aggressively shaved heads.  However, shortened cam/follower life may not be what you want in a street engine.

Renault engines are very strong but they do not like to be overheated.  Combine that with the fact the cooling system requires careful bleeding, it was not unusual for a careless owner to toast a head gasket or even engine.  This is why most Europa projects are discovered headless and/or with replacement engines.

Please, please do not machine your new pistons until you get a correct CR calculation.  It is possible to weld and machine piston crowns but it ain’t cheap!

Bullnose:
As an old (85) engine engineer, I am very much enjoying this discussion.

I am amusing myself by working through a cross flow engine that had some debris go through it.
You will find it interesting to pull the liners out - mine had at least a 1/4" of rust all over the water side. The inside was glazed with small scratches but cleaned up with a hone and is within usable tolerances.
I won't get into the details but can add comments re potential parts suppliers.
I placed an order with the Renault shop about 2 weeks ago. They accepted the order and asked me to wait until they send an invoice before paying. I am still waiting, despite a follow up email.
Another potential good parts supplier is der franzose (www.franzose.de) in Germany.
I placed an order with them on a Sunday night several weeks ago, called them the next day with a question about the order and it had already been dispatched. That's the good news! They ship with DHL and it was sent by sea. No projected delivery date is yet available from the DHL site.
Their prices are slightly better than the Renault Shop based on my shopping list.
I would be interested to know where you located the special head tools.
Thanks and keep up the good work.
Grant

314159td:
Engine is out after building a gantry frame from definitely not untreated 4x4s, surprisingly easy with the harbor freight load leveler. I might make a post about this setup as it does pretty well in place of the proper lift sling tool. Was very surprised that the engine (w/o head) and transaxle balance like this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version