Lotus Europa Forums > Members Cars

#460002 - Restoration

<< < (31/64) > >>

BDA:
Great job on those tail light lamps, Serge!

Did the transaxle not have a provision for a reverse tail light switch?! Were they not required on cars in Europe and England back then? That is surprising to me.

Did the brake fluid help the lens gaskets? I was thinking you might want to make tracings of those rubber gaskets in case you want to try to make your own replacements. Even if they're made with flat rubber, they should still work pretty well. I thought Eastwood used to have a rubber "casting" kit to make new rubber gaskets but I can't find them now. Maybe somebody else makes something for that.

EuropaTC:

--- Quote from: Serge on Thursday,February 22, 2018, 02:24:58 PM ---I've done some research and there are some fuel tank coatings available on this side of the world, so I might need to coat these before I will be using the fuel tanks.

--- End quote ---

Is it considered normal practice these days to internally coat new Al tanks ? When I made mine in the late 80s/early 90s I just welded up the Al, used Dye penetrant testing on the seams (dye inside, developer outside) and left it at that.  They've got to be at least 25 years old now and no obvious signs of corrosion, which is really what I'd expect.

I would use a coating to rescue an old steel tank with internal rusting or porosity in places but I'm not convinced it's essential on a new one. What do the manufacturers do these days ?

Brian

ps - nice welding on the tanks BTW.

Serge:
I could not find a reversing switch on the transmission or the linkage, but the wiring had been messed with. The lenses being painted was clue no 2. Also there were electrical sockets for all of the lights in the unit, except reversing lights. My deduction was, that there probably never were any on this car.

Serge

lotusfanatic:
Hello Serge,

I know that some older cars would use a manually operated switch to operate the reversing light, is that a possibility?

Great work!

PS, what colour are you intending to paint your car?
Yellow, per your YouTube account credits?

(Apologies if you’ve already mentioned this!)

Mark

Serge:
Could be, Mark. The electrics on my car were changed a lot in the course of its life. I have clue how it would look originally. Also unsure why there werent any bulb holders or why the lenses were painted. If somebody lost the bulb holders, which would surprise me, why paint the lenses?

I will be painting the car its original colour, Lotus Yellow L07.

Serge

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version