Author Topic: new owner '74 TCS misc ?  (Read 12056 times)

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: new owner '74 TCS misc ?
« Reply #30 on: Thursday,November 19, 2020, 04:59:54 PM »

E-mailed v-performance in regards to the Mikuni HSR dual carb kit and they can ship it out for the first week of December so that is a go.

Several years ago I came across Vintage Performance Developments on several British car forums. The main complaint with the company was the long delivery times to ship their
kit. Some customers had to wait months for delivery. I really hope they've improved their business practices. I would suggest paying by credit card
and make sure the charges are pending until you get delivery. I've heard very good things about the mod itself, looking forward to your experience with the HSRs.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #31 on: Sunday,February 07, 2021, 06:26:20 AM »
Any updates on the Mikuni swap?
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline Lumbes

« Reply #32 on: Friday,February 12, 2021, 01:50:35 PM »
No progress on the swap so far.  While I was waiting for the Mikunis to arrive (they did) I had the fuel tanks replaced. 

Currently I'm in the process of moving where I store the car.  Once I get it moved I'll be able to start on the swap and

will likely be on here asking a ton of stupid questions. 

Offline Lumbes

« Reply #33 on: Saturday,February 13, 2021, 11:54:02 AM »
There is a pic of a '74 TCS on the v-performance site with the Mikuni installation showing no secondary intake manifold and not sure if I should do the same.  The carb adapters are bolted directly to the cylinder head ports but I don't see a balance pipe

between the Mikunis?  Thought that was necessary.  I was thinking the secondary intake manifold will act as a balance pipe but I don't know if the added 2" will leave the air filter with enough airflow space.  Any thoughts?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #34 on: Saturday,February 13, 2021, 04:11:24 PM »
Myself, I'd run them with a balance tube set-up.  The best would be the non-emissions type used in the UK.  Failing that, use the Federal secondary throttle set-up but remove the secondary butterflies and throttle shafts.  Use Devcon to seal up the bypass passages so there are just smooth intakes with the balance passage.  The problem with the Federal vision is that the balance tube is low and fuel droplets can pool there.

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #35 on: Saturday,February 13, 2021, 04:49:44 PM »
PFreen made his own balance tube setup I believe.....maybe he can post a pic.

Offline Lumbes

« Reply #36 on: Saturday,February 13, 2021, 07:42:35 PM »
Haven't had any luck finding a U.K. spec secondary manifold.  Best I found was out of a Lotus Elan Federal spec with the top already sealed with a steel plate and secondary butterflies removed.  I ordered it and have it in my possession.  The 3 studs that surround

each port on the secondary manifold look like they need cut down to achieve clearance for the Mikunis.  I have a pic of the intake below to demonstrate what I'm working with.  Ultimately I would prefer to go U.K. spec with a high balance pipe but haven't found one

yet. 

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #37 on: Saturday,February 13, 2021, 09:29:06 PM »
What size Mikuni did you order?  V-performance offers three different sizes.

Offline Lumbes

« Reply #38 on: Sunday,February 14, 2021, 10:06:14 AM »
Mikuni HSR 42

Do I have to hunt down specific gaskets for mounting the secondary intake to the cylinder head ports or will a gasket sealer do the job?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #39 on: Sunday,February 14, 2021, 10:12:06 AM »
Let's back-track a bit.  Here's the photo from the Vintage Performance site:

I can't quite see how they are mounted.  It looks like there are rubber spigots but it's not clear how they mount to the manifold.  Can you post photos of what they sent?

Offline Lumbes

« Reply #40 on: Sunday,February 14, 2021, 10:23:29 AM »
These are the two pics from another TCS John sent me. 

Offline Lumbes

« Reply #41 on: Sunday,February 14, 2021, 10:49:36 AM »
I have the same black carb adapters that are shown in the last 3 images.  THey are steel plates covered in rubber with 2 holes for mounting to the port or intake.  They line up perfectly on the secondary intake manifold that I have set aside.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #42 on: Sunday,February 14, 2021, 11:26:33 AM »
So you have the adapter plate that go from three stud on the secondary unit to the four required for the Stromberg carb?  And, the rubber spigots will fit the Stromberg bolt pattern?

I'd use the correct gaskets with a smear of fuel safe sealer (hylomar not "silicone").

Offline TurboFource

« Reply #43 on: Sunday,February 14, 2021, 11:57:49 AM »
Couldn't you mount the secondary manifold upside down since the bolt pattern is square and turn it into a high crossover? The adapters for the Mikunis don't care what position they are in since the rubber mount is round......
« Last Edit: Sunday,February 14, 2021, 12:03:29 PM by TurboFource »

Offline Lumbes

« Reply #44 on: Sunday,February 14, 2021, 12:22:46 PM »
Turboforce I was having the same thought that rotating the secondary manifold 180 degrees would act as a high balance pipe since that what I was trying to use it for.

Jb I only have the stripped down secondary manifold as shown in the picture.  When I said lines up perfectly that was being a bit too optimistic, I only meant it looks doable

if I cut the 3 studs down I think I can have it line up as is and still have everything sealed