Author Topic: New tires + track day video  (Read 194 times)

Offline Clifton

New tires + track day video
« on: Saturday,November 12, 2022, 04:12:08 AM »
I went from BFG Rival-S to Nankang CR-1's. CR-1's are great autocross or one lap tire time trial tire. A week later the Porsche club was doing a autox on a road coarse. Perfect. I hate the slow speed of AX.

It didn't take much to put too much heat in the rears though, something I can't do it on an AX coarse. I even turned the boost down to 5 psi. I was at 8 psi. After 3 runs I kind of new how fast I could get through. 4th run was after lunch, my cleanest fast run. 5th run rears weren't happy, over shot the second cone on the last slalom. 6th run the rears were done but I new this was my last as they wouldn't take another.

For reference, 2nd gear is 70, two straights I was deep into bouncing off the rev limit in 3rd a bunch rather than shift then brake. 3rd is 110 mph at 7600. I used 4th on the last straight, maybe 120 mph and started using 3rd through that slalom, then 2nd on the way out. There's just too much compression braking if the revs are high and it is so easy to unsettle it all.

Fastest clean run https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INJ1ugyITfM

Next run with spin at the end https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUL1I63-GJQ

Offline cazman

Re: New tires + track day video
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,November 12, 2022, 06:31:16 AM »
Nice video. Thanks for sharing.

Are you saying that the CR-1s won't last for road racing?

Also, have you had experience between 70 series and 60 series? I am considering using AVON 70 series, as I think my suspension will like the sidewall better.
1973 Europa TCS

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,November 12, 2022, 08:05:10 AM »
Too bad about the spin. Did your wire/SO helped your weight balance? The longest ride my wife has taken in  in my car is one mile at no more than 50mph!

Offline Clifton

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,November 12, 2022, 08:24:42 AM »
Nice video. Thanks for sharing.

Are you saying that the CR-1s won't last for road racing?

Also, have you had experience between 70 series and 60 series? I am considering using AVON 70 series, as I think my suspension will like the sidewall better.

CR-1's are autocross or time trial. They drop off way too fast for multiple laps.
I haven't run a 60 or 70 series ever but these can all be had in 13's
Nankang makes an AR-1 that is for road coarse and streetable
Toyo RA-1 is for road coarse and very streetable and does good at AX. I drove with these AZ to CA for an AX and put thousands of street miles on them, never heat cycled out.
Toyo RR is road race and can take lap after lap, streetable but I wouldn't unless just to the track.

Offline Clifton

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,November 12, 2022, 08:38:52 AM »
Too bad about the spin. Did your wire/SO helped your weight balance? The longest ride my wife has taken in  in my car is one mile at no more than 50mph!

A passenger does help for weight distribution. I corner weighed empty, me, me + her and it helps put more on the front. She loves going and there's always someone faster so it's just for fun. I knew how hot the rears were getting and it's hard enough to catch when it's good. I had 6 runs. It was still a lot of fun and I only had a dusty tire instead of the usual rubbing compounding cone marks off.

Offline 69merc

« Reply #5 on: Monday,November 14, 2022, 06:40:52 AM »
 :beerchug: :trophy:

Love it! 

I autox and track day my 69 Cougar…… it’s addicting  :beerchug: