Author Topic: chassis alignment  (Read 203 times)

Offline Sparkrite

chassis alignment
« on: Wednesday,September 28, 2022, 08:02:12 AM »
Following on from the rear end collision to my tcs about 2 months ago, I have decided to keep the car and fix the damage. My main concern now is the possible chassis damage. the repair quote Ive had doesnt really mention this,as possibly the car would be an economic write off and the repairer would not get the job. I am convinced the rear hoop has moved and there is a small kink in the lower lip of one of the rear chassis Y forks. Is it possible to check the chassis alignment with the body still in place, and do you need a special jig or is this a diy job. Also I cant find reference to the chassis dimensions,an S2 yes but not a TC.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: chassis alignment
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,September 28, 2022, 08:37:02 AM »
I imagine the only people with an accurate jig would be those who make new chassis, Spyder or Banks. The other dampener is that I'd struggle to see how you could accurately check the chassis without removing the body; you can visually check for distortions but measuring it would be difficult.

On a positive note, you can always measure diagonals across the chassis and that should indicate if it's badly twisted. You can measure wheelbase from centre to centre on the wheel hubs quite easily and compare sides. 

One thing that does come to mind is a full alignment check on something like the Hunter setup. If the car was correct pre-impact and is still the same then you're good. If it's drastically out then a good operator should be able to give some idea of where any problems lie if you tell them beforehand why you're doing it.

Again on a positive spin, damage to one part of the rear forks might not be serious enough to change the chassis unless you've got the engine/gearbox out of alignment. Given the rear suspension hangs off the engine/gearbox unit, any distortion should come out in a geo check ?

Brian

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,September 28, 2022, 08:57:11 AM »
I imagine the only people with an accurate jig would be those who make new chassis, Spyder or Banks. The other dampener is that I'd struggle to see how you could accurately check the chassis without removing the body; you can visually check for distortions but measuring it would be difficult.

Spot on, Brian.  Pulling the shell is not the most onerous job on these cars, just fiddly.  Advantage is that you can get a good look not only at the potential damage, but also whether there is any twist or distortion that may have occurred further away from the instant damage.

On a positive note, you can always measure diagonals across the chassis and that should indicate if it's badly twisted. You can measure wheelbase from centre to centre on the wheel hubs quite easily and compare sides. 

String, plumb bobs, drop from the bottom front suspension pin up against chassis, measure to end of opposite rear fork will give you 'squareness' front to back, setting the chassis on 3 of the same size blocks (2 at front, one at y-to-center box, and measuring to floor (assuming floor is level fr-back, side to side) will give you twist (measure at end of rear fork arms, again).  Then you can go from there.  Luckily, you folks on the other side have shops that know how to work on this frame...over here...we're a little more constrained

One thing that does come to mind is a full alignment check on something like the Hunter setup. If the car was correct pre-impact and is still the same then you're good. If it's drastically out then a good operator should be able to give some idea of where any problems lie if you tell them beforehand why you're doing it.

Again on a positive spin, damage to one part of the rear forks might not be serious enough to change the chassis unless you've got the engine/gearbox out of alignment. Given the rear suspension hangs off the engine/gearbox unit, any distortion should come out in a geo check ?

Brian

Absolutely correct.  Can't discount that.  Lots of measuring to get the right insight as to what (if any) divergence from the manufactured part was.  Assuming your suspension arms, track rods, etc are ok...the only thing that will need rectification if the figures show damage is the frame itself.  Actually easier to deal with than if it was one of those glued-together monocoque shells that are the current style.  I freaked out the first time I had to do a swap.  No argument there, but not the end of the world.

These weren't precision-made (being hand-welded on jigs), but should be within the tolerances that the factory originally accepted as a usable part.  Thinking that the repops are actually done to a closer standard these days, 50 some odd years on...just my $.02, having reconstructed a few frames along the way...besides, here's a chance to clean up, refresh, and really set the car to better than what was pushed out the Hethel back door (finances/time/patience allowing).  Yeah, shunts suck...but...may be a blessing in disguise to have something at the end that was better than what you started with!
« Last Edit: Wednesday,September 28, 2022, 09:04:27 AM by Bryan Boyle »
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,September 28, 2022, 10:35:16 AM »
You are very lucky to be in the UK.  The only way to go is to pull and strip the chassis and get it jigged and repaired.  Spyder has the jigs and it will come back to you better than new.  You will also have a receipt stating that the chassis was repaired properly which is the best way to counter any concerns arising from the accident report now on file.

Offline Sparkrite

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,September 29, 2022, 12:53:32 AM »
If my assumption is correct that the rear hoop has been deflected (by that I mean it has only moved a few millimetres forward and the bend has occurred at each point of connection to the the chassis ends) then this will not show on diagonal measuring nor wheel alignment checks ? and would it still be justified to remove the body for just that. 

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #5 on: Thursday,September 29, 2022, 02:29:14 AM »
Depending on how much it's moved forward, it might show on rear tracking. On my car the driveshafts are angled slightly and moving the gearbox forward or backward would push the hubs in/out and potentially alter the toe in. That's something you could check at home with a string box or any of the other alignment tools.

I'll be honest, if it was moved a couple of mm along the axis of the car because the impact was directly in line,  then I wouldn't bother worrying.  It it's angled though and twisted the rear hoop then that might affect the tracking, just depends how much.

If you can get a photo, try posting a shot of what's concerning you ?

Brian