Author Topic: Unidentified 5 speed gear box  (Read 436 times)

Offline Gmg31

Unidentified 5 speed gear box
« on: Monday,May 25, 2020, 08:14:24 AM »
Hi. I’ve posted this on the facebook groups and everyone says it a NG3 box. But Richard from Banks disagrees but can’t identify it.  You’ll notice that the driveshaft connections are also different. I need to figure out how to connect it to the gear lever and how to mount it to the rear chassis loop. 

All advice welcome.

Offline RoddyMac

Re: Unidentified 5 speed gear box
« Reply #1 on: Monday,May 25, 2020, 04:03:44 PM »
It certainly looks like an NGx gearbox.  Output flanges can be changed/modified, so that doesn't really identify it.  I'll snap some pics of the NG3 in my car tonight to see if the casting number matches yours.  The gearbox that I have, had an NG3 tag on it, but the identifying number for what model it was from doesn't match anything in the workshop manuals.

Offline RoddyMac

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,May 27, 2020, 11:24:46 AM »
I checked my photo archive and found a pic of the gearbox casting number, it doesn't match:

In regards to how to shift gears, if it's a variation of the NG3 (NG0,1,3 etc) the shift pattern should most likely look like this at the gearbox end:

And, this is how I had originally wanted to set up my shift assembly, but finding suitable u-joints for the linkage was going to cost more that I had hoped:

The shift lever off the gearbox had a cup welded to it to accept a 5/8" spherical bearing, the triangulated piece had a slip fit into the spherical bearing to allow for a change in vertical distance (if that makes sense), and the rod the triangular piece was welded to was free to slide in and out along with rotate in the outer sleeve/bracket.  It would have required snaking a shift linkage along side the motor with u-joints.  That idea was abandoned and a cable shift set up used instead: 

The lever on the side of the 'box was cut and reversed to get the shift cables to the side of the casing rather than right under it.  The lever on the side to side splined shaft was salvaged from a Coventry Climax firepump mainly because it was in my box of odds and ends. 

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #3 on: Monday,June 01, 2020, 04:54:13 AM »
Latest advice from Richard at Banks. He feels that this is a 395 box from a R17. 
I wonder if any members have a spare linkage for this type of box. I particularly need the bit that attaches to the first shaft sticking out of the box.