Author Topic: TCS 3442R restoration  (Read 2955 times)

Online BDA

Re: TCS 3442R restoration
« Reply #45 on: Monday,March 02, 2020, 05:33:12 PM »
She looks great, Sherman! I see you're going for originality keeping your charcoal canister and crossover pipes!

Congratulations on your milestone!  :beerchug:

Offline Sherman Kaplan

« Reply #46 on: Monday,March 02, 2020, 05:41:49 PM »
Thanks,  I'm keeping it about 90% original.  The crossover pipes are just for show.   I made some steel plates that they are sitting on.   Also, if you notice, I switched from the original stromberg's to SU's (and removed the secondary butterfly's) 

Sherman

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #47 on: Monday,March 02, 2020, 07:38:51 PM »
Looks great Sherman. Getting to the final stages. Look like you’ll have it done for summer driving  :beerchug:

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #48 on: Monday,March 02, 2020, 08:34:48 PM »
Looks fantastic Sherman!  :beerchug: I agree the faux crossover pipes are an interesting choice. What was your motivation to switch to the SU carbs? (I believe pfreen and others have done that.) Your original paint looks great in the photos, as does mine from 10 ft or more.
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Sherman Kaplan

« Reply #49 on: Tuesday,March 03, 2020, 11:37:41 AM »
I had a Europa in the 70's and I still have a Triumph TR6.  I had troubles with the strombergs (the tr6 did not run well until I switched to SU's, even after putting on a different rebuilt pair of strombergs).   Not wanting to go through the stromberg issues I went with SU's.

Regarding the faux crossover pipes I never liked the look of just having the plates on the manifolds.   With the engine on a stand I got pretty good/fast at removing and replacing the crossover pipes.   I'll have to see how easy it is with the body on.  If they are too much trouble I can always remove them.   :)

My paint also looks good at 10 feet.

Sherman

Online BDA

« Reply #50 on: Tuesday,March 03, 2020, 12:37:03 PM »
Re: Strombergs vs SUs

I believe it was my first Europa, stock with its Strombergs, that would start as soon as I touched the ignition. There was no perceptible cranking. I've never had any other car do that. I don't know that SUs are better or worse than Strombergs - they certainly are simpler (when I was racing my MG Midget, my joke was that SUs were invented shortly after the wheel!) and for that reason are worth considering, but I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with Strombergs.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #51 on: Tuesday,March 03, 2020, 01:29:09 PM »
I'm just posting an article on properly overhauling Strombergs.

Offline Sherman Kaplan

« Reply #52 on: Tuesday,March 03, 2020, 01:49:35 PM »
I don't necessarily think SU's are better.   I agree that they are simple and as I had a pair lying around I thought I would use them.   I have the original Strombergs and can always refit them.

Sherman

Offline Footer

« Reply #53 on: Saturday,March 14, 2020, 08:18:42 AM »
HI Sherman,
Your car is looking very nice and I wish you well .

You and I have the same rear, drum brakes, the ones with the "auto adjusting function" and I agree that it doesn't seem to work.  Looking at your post from September 8, 2019 and the pictures, I see that you drilled an access hole to manually adjust the brakes.  Great idea and I will copy that on my car.

When I got my car, the brakes were in pieces and I did not have the benefit of taking them apart.  Since I haven't done a brake job in about 40 years, it took me quite a while to get them back together, trial and error.  When I was done, everything appears to work appropriately.  However, I was left with a part that I was not able to install and can't seem to decide where it goes.  I was hoping you could help me out since we both have the same brakes..

I posted a picture of the left over piece.  I f you, or anyone else, can help me with the placement of this piece, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Bob

Offline Sherman Kaplan

« Reply #54 on: Saturday,March 14, 2020, 08:53:51 AM »
The small H piece goes between the handbrake arm and the shoe.  From my understanding the adjuster will not work properly without it.  Rimmer Bros  in the UK sells new ones if needed.   I only had one so I bought a pair from them.  I'll try and find a picture and post it.

Sherman

Offline Footer

« Reply #55 on: Saturday,March 14, 2020, 09:59:18 AM »
Thanks Sherman, that solved ny problem!

Bob

Offline Sherman Kaplan

« Reply #56 on: Saturday,March 14, 2020, 10:04:04 AM »
Glad to be able to help.   Here is a thread on the triumph forum regarding the H piece and below is a picture.

https://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?8,1339269

Sherman