Author Topic: Holey Moley  (Read 1395 times)

Offline ron parola

Holey Moley
« on: Thursday,November 26, 2015, 09:26:33 AM »
IF there are those amongst who have been doubting my sanity (and yes I CAN hear you when I remove my tin foil cap) I offer PROOF that I've lost it. Since my axles are staying together I am starting on the interior, but where to stash a fire extinguisher?, I don't know if anyone has noticed BUT it's a small car with a smaller cabin. When I got the car there was one in the front boot but that may take too long to get in case of fire, too tight under drivers side dash and too far to reach under passenger side dash. Since a few years ago I had a VERY unfortunate incident with a Stanley that used up three extinguishers, I thought that having two on board may not be a bad idea, so I've mounted them ON the seats below the frt cushion. They move with the seat so the can't get buried under them and you can't see them sitting it the car and hardly from outside, maybe a flap of fabric would cover them nicely. AND since I had to remove the fabric to braze the mounts on I decided to lighten the seats. For a small seat they are quite heavy, so out with the hole saws. I'm not worried about removing strength because 1) the seat belts restrain you AND the seat, 2) the seat has a perimeter frame; the sheet metal between that  frame only stiffens it and supports the upholstery, WHICH is self supporting since it is a sheet of masonite (not even peg board which would have saved weight). By the way the car weighs 1710lbs, 58% rearwards. Happy turkey day ( sorry Brits) Ronp

Offline BDA

Re: Holey Moley
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,November 26, 2015, 09:44:34 AM »
You know, I had an inkling that the cabin was a bit tight. I'm glad you confirmed it!  ;D

Great idea!!! I hope you never have to use it!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #2 on: Thursday,November 26, 2015, 02:10:10 PM »
Hi Ron,

I've got my fire extinguisher mounted in the same place, only mine is mounted on the floor.    The seat doesn't move that much and in my case it's only backwards a couple of inches to make getting out a touch easier, so it's mounted at the forward end of seat travel.   I like to think of it as the 1970s Lotus version of the modern car automatic seat positioning....   ;)

You're right on the seats being heavy as well. When I look at them I wonder how they managed to pack so much metal into something so small, it makes you wonder if they used solid bar instead of tubing !

Brian

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,November 26, 2015, 10:00:17 PM »
Perfect place for one.

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #4 on: Thursday,November 26, 2015, 10:37:10 PM »
Your seat went on a diet!

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #5 on: Friday,November 27, 2015, 09:44:23 AM »
Some good ideas there, Ron. I've been considering a good mounting location for extinguishers myself, and I like the way you have done yours. Also, my seats will eventually need recovering, and when they do I think putting them on a diet such as yours will be on the agenda. Nice work. Cheers.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor