Author Topic: Slip yoke movement  (Read 194 times)

Offline califkid_66

Slip yoke movement
« on: Monday,September 26, 2022, 06:20:54 AM »
I have some radial movement on my inner yoke 336 transmission what are my options
Can it be resplined to remove the loose or do I have to replace it 275 cdn plus transport
For 1
might be able to get one from a Europa special that had a five speed transmission not sure if it’s the same
I saw a video of a guy with a raptor same style of yoke as the Europa he drilled holes on opposite sides
of yoke tapped the holes and screwed in screws each side to prevent the movement I know it’s not the ideal way to go but It would work while waiting for parts

Offline jbcollier

Re: Slip yoke movement
« Reply #1 on: Monday,September 26, 2022, 06:43:22 AM »
Good question.  I bought two new yokes and they were a looser fit than the old ones I already had.  Another lister bought new ones as well and reported the same.  If the radial play is small, I wouldn’t worry about it.  Is there a problem?

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #2 on: Monday,September 26, 2022, 07:15:16 AM »
It is really loose when I lift the rear end and move the wheel I can see it moving it is loose on the output shaft  the output shaft as not movement when I reassembled the rear end i slid the yoke in and it was extremely loose but I put in the spacers and lock pins there was no movement but driving around I think the lock pin might have broken in half when I disassembled the first time the lock pin was broken in two my guess is to much loose and the lock pin is taking all the stress I am going to remove the lock pin to see if it’s broken again
I think this is what was causing the jumpiness from a stop start
I would like everything to be tight but if the new parts have the same problem
I don’t know if there’s a product I can put on the output shaft to fill the gap maybe wrap the output shaft with Teflon or fill it with grease or something
any suggestions is welcome at this point I don’t mind paying for a product that fit’s properly

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #3 on: Monday,September 26, 2022, 10:31:51 AM »
Ok little update I removed the lock pins they were in very good condition the output shaft is perfect I adjusted the play when I changed my oil seals
 there is some movement between yoke and output

First time I shimmed there was no movement but now there is
So I added a .005 shim and there is no more loose everything is tight
the shims settled down just needed another shim

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Monday,September 26, 2022, 03:14:43 PM »
Glad you checked.