Author Topic: 0453R Rockledge Florida  (Read 15580 times)

Offline dakazman

Re: 0453R Rockledge Florida
« Reply #120 on: Tuesday,November 26, 2019, 09:13:38 AM »
   I’m in the process of installing the cylinder head on the wedge engine and need to clarify a statement in the manual that say install spacers on the front two head bolts, the problem being I only have one long spacer. There are short and long bolts all have washers, could a long bolt been shorted and a swapped with a short bolt.
  When dissembling I placed my he bolts in a jig so that they would go back the way I took them out. They seem correct , am I reading to much into that statement in the manual?
Dakazman
Ps torque position 8 and 10 10 being a long spacer and 8 a short bolt.

Second ps :got it .
« Last Edit: Tuesday,November 26, 2019, 11:06:18 AM by dakazman »

Offline dakazman

« Reply #121 on: Tuesday,November 26, 2019, 12:38:02 PM »
    Checked my other engine head bolt stand. 10 head bolts 6 short and 4 long. Spacer on #10 torque sequence. Number 9 gets a short bolt.
 I went thru the assembly process and found some hidden gotcha’s. 1 the head studs for location are short and need the t handle extractor that comes with the kit however it has a special thread size to accommodate a stud that should join the two...that don’t not come with the kit. It is not metric or standard. So I slotted the stud . See pic.  Now to proceed.😅
  So I picked up the head and placed it slowly down on the block, the side gauge falls out of its locator position. It needed to be secured in place by some shins. Once again a dry run and success. Removed the head , installed tappets, thank you Galvin! Placed the gaskets down and placed the head perfectly. Installed the bolts and torque the head twice around . After run in final torque.
Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #122 on: Tuesday,November 26, 2019, 12:55:03 PM »
Working with wrenches! Now you're talking! Those Renault motors seem pretty complicated to build!

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #123 on: Tuesday,November 26, 2019, 01:35:23 PM »
It’s so shiny it doesn’t look real.  :FUNNY:
« Last Edit: Tuesday,November 26, 2019, 02:42:49 PM by Certified Lotus »

Offline 1970EuropaGuy

• Lotus Europa Restoration
« Reply #124 on: Tuesday,November 26, 2019, 02:19:02 PM »
Looking great! Remember to wear sunglasses during assembly.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #125 on: Tuesday,November 26, 2019, 02:28:09 PM »
Working with wrenches! Now you're talking! Those Renault motors seem pretty complicated to build!

It feels so good to assemble this, preserving it for future generations . I never thought it would look this good. Pulling parts down that I thought looked good may need some more work.  I need to go shopping and buy some stainless bolts and nuts. This was a busy month , anniversary, birthdays and thanksgiving all have slowed me down.
  The last two sections of the firewall are next, but I will continue to assemble the body.

Certified, in the sun, forget about it...LOL I couldn’t get a good picture.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #126 on: Tuesday,November 26, 2019, 02:45:05 PM »
Dave your going to be like me. After every drive and the engine cools down you’ll be out with a rag wiping the road dust off. But it’s a good thing!

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #127 on: Tuesday,November 26, 2019, 07:23:52 PM »
Great that it is all finally coming together.

Stainless nuts and bolts need to be used with care.  They have no natural lubricity and the threads gall very easily.  You have to use a copper anti seize on the threads.  The SS bolts and nuts in hardware stores and elsewhere are cheap, no-grade junk.  Buy quality, graded SS nuts and bolts only.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #128 on: Wednesday,November 27, 2019, 06:27:17 AM »
  Thanks JB ,  I’ve been down that road with the stainless bolts at Lowes , pure junk.
 I did find an interesting site but way too expensive and extreme.  Dressupbolts.con  titanium hardware any a variety of colors. I would have to be sponsored by them to use them.
  I started on the rocker arm assembly and noticed that the studs that are used need to be installed with the shorter thread length down. I will also torque the studs into the head first slightly higher than the torque for tightening the assembly. This not in the manual. But if anyone has any opinions let me know. I feel like an autodidact building this.
Dakazman

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #129 on: Wednesday,November 27, 2019, 06:55:38 AM »
Don't go too tight with the studs.  The stud does not have to be tighter than the torque of the nut it holds, especially if it is going into aluminium.  I just snug them down.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #130 on: Wednesday,November 27, 2019, 08:41:29 AM »
  Thanks for your he fast reply. I didn’t have the correct thread count nuts to lock together anyhow. I’ve been searching for awhile, now I’ll just turn by hand. 20 ft pounds seems high for the rocker assembly . But that’s what in the manual.
Dakazman

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #131 on: Wednesday,November 27, 2019, 08:54:40 AM »
Don't go too tight with the studs.  The stud does not have to be tighter than the torque of the nut it holds, especially if it is going into aluminium.  I just snug them down.
This :I-agree: DO NOT apply the full specified torque for the nuts when installing the studs. 25% of the specified nut torque will be plenty, but I certainly would not exceed 50% in this application unless otherwise stated in a trusted manual.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #132 on: Wednesday,November 27, 2019, 09:51:01 AM »
They make 5/16/8mm stud extractors that work well.  failing that, the old vice-grips on the shaft of the stud works as well.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #133 on: Wednesday,November 27, 2019, 03:51:25 PM »
  We got her done but it was a struggle. Still have to adjust the valve clearance after I reposition the stand . It feels like Christmas opening bags of parts . Nickel plating various nuts and bolts , plates ...
Found my best valve cover and installed the gasket. What direction do the retaining nuts (thumbscrews) go ? The gasket doesn’t fit perfectly inside the indentation!

Other items ,
- Do the front turn indicators lenses get mounted with the screws horizontal or vertical.
- what is the dimension the engine cover hinges from the vent hole edge? This is probably the best way      to locate.

After unpacking some of my light assemblies...😟 I see some work coming. I thought they looked better 25 years ago.  :FUNNY:

Dakazman

Offline BDA

« Reply #134 on: Wednesday,November 27, 2019, 07:31:19 PM »
Very nice, D'man! That is really pretty!  :beerchug: