Author Topic: 0453R Rockledge Florida  (Read 15601 times)

Offline Sandyman

Re: 0453R Rockledge Florida
« Reply #45 on: Saturday,May 04, 2019, 03:39:54 PM »
David, is your S2 a federal? I see you have a twin reservoir master cylinder. do you know if it is the same as a twink MC? I am switching to a twin reservoir using a twink MC. (when my Spyder chassis arrives)

Offline dakazman

« Reply #46 on: Saturday,May 04, 2019, 04:20:36 PM »
I was wrong . the mount was modified previously with a plate welded to the original MC assembly.
I will wait for the spitfire mc to come in to see what needs to be reconstructed. Working on brake line fabrication.
  Sandy, I don’t know anything about this brake booster assembly, it was in a box inside car when I received car. Yes I have an S2 federal.
Dakazman
« Last Edit: Saturday,May 04, 2019, 04:34:53 PM by dakazman »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #47 on: Saturday,May 04, 2019, 04:59:43 PM »
That is not factory.  That is something a PO cobbled together.  Can’t comment on its effectiveness nor if it is engineered correctly.

In my opinion, you do not need a booster, or boosters, on a Europa.  A simple 0.70 master cylinder, single or dual, gives very, very good brakes.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #48 on: Thursday,May 09, 2019, 03:48:35 PM »
Received my .70 master cylinder from moss motors and started modifying my mount. From the inside I saw the original plate . A 3/16 plate was welded on top. I cut out the original plate on the inside .
Fabricated another plate which I will weld in place.
  I was thinking about welding the mc mount bolts making it have two studs as original did. Then work on the actuating rod.
Dakazman
« Last Edit: Thursday,May 09, 2019, 05:00:13 PM by dakazman »

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #49 on: Thursday,May 09, 2019, 04:05:23 PM »
Good to have fabricating skills Dave.

Offline dakazman

« Reply #50 on: Thursday,May 09, 2019, 04:30:49 PM »
Thanks certified, you have plenty of skills, I need to reread your methods of plating parts . Not to mention your knowledge of all things Lotus and  Two / three beautiful specimens completed and running.
Dave

Offline dakazman

« Reply #51 on: Friday,May 10, 2019, 05:37:17 PM »
Great day,  progress on several fronts. My mc mount, removal of a cylinder head for a bent valve and making a temporary exhaust system for the ElCamino.

I changed the routing of the brake line thru the frame and not under. The rear line will be mounted to the side of frame not bottom as original. Speed bumps would destroy the line mounted here. See pic.

Received a spare rim from way up north. Thanks again.

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
« Reply #52 on: Thursday,May 16, 2019, 06:51:27 AM »
I'm pretty sure that originally the brake pipe did pass through the front box and the rear pipe runs along the side of the backbone at the bottom edge - there used to be bendable metal tabs to hold the pipe in place along the backbone...

I'm sure someone who has been there more recently can confirm/deny this to be the case though?!

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #53 on: Thursday,May 16, 2019, 01:55:56 PM »
I'm pretty sure that originally the brake pipe did pass through the front box and the rear pipe runs along the side of the backbone at the bottom edge - there used to be bendable metal tabs to hold the pipe in place along the backbone...
I'll confirm that, on my car the pipes did go internally through the front box & inside the central spine, coming out at the rear Y section. I can't remember how they went from there, I seem to think they went along the inside of the rear N/S leg under the engine mounts to the servo and then back into the central spine for the front caliper feed.

Brian

Offline dakazman

« Reply #54 on: Thursday,May 16, 2019, 03:22:17 PM »
Thanks guys
 I ran it thru the box instead on under. Will continue the run on the side of frame to protect it.
Purchased another roll of brake line and need to order all new fittings. While am waiting am working on putting the engine back together.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #55 on: Tuesday,May 21, 2019, 05:39:17 PM »
Made some progress on the brake mc mount and fabricated a carriage bolt to fit and rotate inside the mc like the original rod. It is fully adjustable but may need to be shortened. I just need to mount it and test. I decided to us bolts instead on studs.
Dakazman

Offline dakazman

« Reply #56 on: Thursday,May 23, 2019, 05:31:39 PM »
My order from rd came in .
   I ordered the spherical shifter bearing , plates and bushings. What a difference. Easy to install and fit on my shift rod. 

Finally getting to flaring all new lines and all new fittings, and flex lines only a few months later. I also ordered the rest of the rear drum brake parts needed. I also found the original shoes that are still new.

I decided to go with the stainless steel door pins and received two sets.

Other roads going down are the proper U50 u-joints  I can’t find my cross reference part numbers list for the NAPA nbr. The ones I pressed out were from 3 different manufacturers. Same for the rear bearings, I had Japanese German and England and American manufacturers installed. Prices range fro $12.95 - $108.00 for the German brand. Anyone have a preference?
Dakazman

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #57 on: Thursday,May 23, 2019, 07:04:21 PM »
Always exciting to get an RD box  :pirate:
You will be glad to have gotten the shifter parts. I can’t make any recommendations on u-joints, mine seemed to be in good shape. 

Online BDA

« Reply #58 on: Thursday,May 23, 2019, 07:11:02 PM »
Aren't u-joint standardized? This cross reference (http://www.gglotus.org/ggpart/europacr.htm#rsusp) has a listing for several manufacturers.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #59 on: Thursday,May 23, 2019, 11:28:14 PM »

I also found the original shoes that are still new.

Beware, they may contain asbestos if they are that old.

I asked Lotus what parts in a Europa contained asbestos. They replied that regrettably their records on that have been lost.

I reckon the exhaust gaskets, maybe the head gasket, the heat shield above the silencer (muffler), the brake pads and the brake shoes, all would have been made containing asbestos.