Lotus Europa Forums > The Paddock

Fire extinguisher system

<< < (3/4) > >>

EuropaTC:
Thanks Dave, that's interesting and I came away with two thoughts - firstly how relatively cheap the basic system was and secondly how the price shot up for another 1.5 litres of capacity, this extinguisher stuff must cost a lot to make !

I've 2 handhelds which are really more about making sure I ( & passenger) get out if for some reason the car explodes around us but I'd imagine that basic system would cope reasonably well inside the engine bay of a Europa. If the luggage bin is missing to allow a different exhaust route then yes, I can see the "more is better" argument.

Brian

EuropaTC:
I'm posting this because I'm sure it'll bring a smile, especially John with the "go bigger" comment.  The original owner of my car was an enthusiast and involved with club racing so perhaps not surprisingly he had a fire extinguisher mounted between the seats. Take a look at what was considered "adequate" back in the 1970s.....

The second shot will give you some idea of scale  :)

4129R:
Does it match the cigarette lighter?

EuropaTC:

--- Quote from: 4129R on Saturday,April 23, 2016, 03:19:22 AM ---Does it match the cigarette lighter?

--- End quote ---

:)

I think a lit cigarette is just about what it'd cope with.  And even then, by the time I bought the car it would have struggled - there's dire warnings on the back that it "should be returned for refill in 1970"....   

jbcollier:
Handhelds, like chihuahuas, score big time on the cuteness scale, but, if you're strapped in and at best semiconscious after a major race mishap, a plumbed system with an external trigger is what I would want.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version