Author Topic: Battery hold down  (Read 774 times)

Offline phil

Battery hold down
« on: Wednesday,March 25, 2015, 01:29:38 PM »
Hello All
Ive just bought a 1972 twin-cam and am slowly sorting things out. Does anyone have a picture of what holds the battery in its place, mine is moving about. Also does anyone have a toolkit for sale?
Thanks    Phil

Offline BDA

Re: Battery hold down
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,March 25, 2015, 02:05:52 PM »
Hey Phil,

Congratulations on your new ride/project!

The battery is held down with an angle piece that goes over the "outside" top corner of the battery. Through this angle piece, there are two j-bolts that go to the frame. The 'J' part hooks into holes in the frame and the nut at the top of the bolt snugs everything together. I used an aluminum angle from Lowes and J-bolts from a parts store.

You can sometimes find toolkits on fleabay. There happen to be one posted now. The seller claims that it is "vintage" (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Lotus-Tool-Kit-Europa-Seven-Elite-/171642225004?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27f6ac816c&vxp=mtr). It looks like an original Europa tool kit. Actually, it looks nicer than an original Europa tool kit. He wants a fortune for it so if you NEED one for your concours Europa, it would be a good one, but otherwise, I'd make my own tool kit as the tools that come with it are junk but not totally useless. You can get a much nicer tool kit for less than $50 from Sears or similar.

Don't forget to post some pictures of your car and let us know what you're doing with it!

Offline 2483R

Re: Battery hold down
« Reply #2 on: Thursday,March 26, 2015, 06:29:30 AM »
As BDA stated, the original battery clamp was a piece of steel angle. But you can make your own easy enough, I have a picture of mine in the owners galley under the folder “Late Apex”

The bolts are actually “L” bolts. I use a fender washer under bolts on the frame side to spread the load out and avoid dimpling the frame.