Author Topic: S1 Coil Overs  (Read 185 times)

Offline My S1

S1 Coil Overs
« on: Friday,March 03, 2023, 11:58:17 AM »
This is probably an old and exhausted discussion for you folks so I apologize.  I need/would like to replace my coil overs front and rear.  What is the best, fully adjustable brand/model that you guys would recommend?  Also, what are the best spring rates for normal (sure...) public road driving?

Offline gideon

Re: S1 Coil Overs
« Reply #1 on: Friday,March 03, 2023, 12:22:46 PM »
I can't say which is best, but I think your options for off-the-shelf adjustable dampers are Protech, Avo, Spax or Gaz.  SJ Sportscars sells Protech.  Lotus Supplies sells AVO.  RD Enterprises sells Spax.  I don't think any of the usual suspects sells Gaz. 

I'm waiting for someone to do a back-to-back comparison and publish their results, but the heat death of the universe might come sooner.  Probably any of the above options would be an upgrade compared to the original equipment.

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Friday,March 03, 2023, 01:16:09 PM »
I got Protech from SJ and I like them a lot. I had old SPAX and while I wouldn’t necessarily blame Spax, they were completely gone. The Protechs transformed my car! They are really too pretty to put under a car. I assume the AVOs are good since everything I’ve gotten from Richard has been good and Lotus Supplies sells them paired with updated springs which might be an advantage for you.

Offline SwiftDB4

« Reply #3 on: Friday,March 03, 2023, 01:23:22 PM »
Second thumbs up for Protech. I run 240/180 # springs, but my S1 is lowered to 40" high. Stock springs are 100/72#. For your use something in between those figures.

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Friday,March 03, 2023, 01:59:21 PM »
I’m running 160/115 and I like that combination really well. I had 250/130 which wasn’t bad but I found it was a bit more tiring on a long trip. Spring length is important too.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #5 on: Friday,March 03, 2023, 02:22:18 PM »
If you want a smooth ride on normal roads, stick with the stock spring rates and lengths.  I did, and I’m delighted with the ride: swallows most bumps with aplomb.  I very happily run AVOs.  Other dampers would work well, too.

Offline My S1

« Reply #6 on: Friday,March 03, 2023, 02:57:54 PM »
Great advice from all of you guys.  Many thanks.