Author Topic: Front Fender Mounted Mirrors  (Read 1016 times)

Offline My S1

Re: Front Fender Mounted Mirrors
« Reply #15 on: Saturday,December 03, 2022, 11:45:27 AM »
This may be inappropriate of me but I have two Italian made Sebring mirrors that I bought from R.D. a few years ago.  They had a hideous, very large logo embossed on the tops so I stripped the chrome off, sanded down the logos and had them re-chromed.  I never did use them.  I have them listed on Lotus LTD classifieds.   

Offline GavinT

« Reply #16 on: Saturday,December 03, 2022, 02:20:32 PM »
Maybe some neat race mirrors?

They always look the business though I'm never quite sure they cover enough terrain. This one from 'DemonTweeks' has a single bolt fixing which is an aspect worthy of consideration for when some over-refreshed bozo stumbles past your car in the pub car park.

DemonTweeks has others as well.

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/au/lifeline-msa-formula-mirror-244324/

Offline DreamsOfA47

« Reply #17 on: Sunday,December 04, 2022, 08:54:21 PM »
Exlimey, those definitely look interesting and are also worth a good look (get it?!)

MyS1, those are definitely really cool mirrors and I do like the way they look! It's just a bummer the consensus here is they don't seem to work the best on a Europa. I'll shoot you a PM.

Gavin, those are the types of mires JB likes and though the don't look period at all they may be the way I go given the necessity for them on a ca shaped like ours. My ability too safely see the cars around me may trump the overall aesthetics of the project... the key work there is may  ;)

Offline Fotog

• 72 Twin Cam
« Reply #18 on: Monday,December 12, 2022, 02:09:24 PM »
I got the "Raydyot" replica mirrors from Hayden.

I would say that they look 'pretty good' but not excellent.
The main problem in my mind is that the bezel doesn't fit so snugly.  So there's a bit of a gap, which looks worse when the bezel fixing screws are tightened.  I think with some tape or something (maybe a washer) to fill the gap and prevent the screws from bowing the bezel, it won't be so noticeable.

The real thing: photo 1.  The others, the replica I got.

The price is hugely different.  Realistically, there's not so much to them, so much of the difference in price is about whether you're willing to pay a lot for the 'real thing'.

The other thing about these mirrors is that the mounting bolt also serves as the fixing for the swivel base, so they must be adjusted when they're mounted, and you're not adjusting them on the fly afterward.  This is no different from the originals, from what I see.  I gave no thought to that potential aspect when I made the decision.  I guess truly a period design.

I think I can't complain for the price, but I'm not over the moon.

Vince

« Last Edit: Monday,December 12, 2022, 02:13:05 PM by Fotog »

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #19 on: Monday,December 12, 2022, 10:45:52 PM »
I'm not personally in the market for any more mirror styles but that's good feedback and some interesting observations. I also didn't realise that once you'd bolted that style up then you're all done with adjustments.

As you say, there's a heck of a price difference and I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay that much for an original part. Actually I am sure, and I'm not in the $500/pair mirror market  :)

I can see the gap you've found, from the position it makes me wonder if the shell/bowl is thinner or of a weaker material than the Raydot ones and the replica is buckling as you tighten up the location screws ? If that's it and the mirror is fixed in the housing, maybe there's enough room behind the mirror to stiffen things up and prevent the distortion ?

Cheers
Brian
« Last Edit: Tuesday,December 13, 2022, 01:43:12 PM by EuropaTC »

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #20 on: Tuesday,December 13, 2022, 07:04:23 AM »
Fotog, Have used these Raydyot's for years and they are adjustable when installed. I noticed the one you pictured had a star washer and nut. This setup requires a lot of torque and compression to retain position. Originals used a large flat washer and a fiber nut which kept tension on the unit but still allowed for adjustment. You need to find the sweet spot, but it does adjust after install. Currently have two on the race car and I can adjust if needed. The washer and nut are spares I had. 

Offline Fotog

• 72 Twin Cam
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday,December 13, 2022, 09:43:46 AM »
Thanks for that information, Kram.  I'm not sure: are yours the 'real thing', Raydyot brand?

Brian-  I'll come back with some more observations, but I appreciate your comments.

Vince

Offline BDA

« Reply #22 on: Tuesday,December 13, 2022, 10:10:15 AM »
I highly suspect that if you loosen the bolt just a little, you'll be able to adjust the mirror.

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday,December 13, 2022, 11:01:57 AM »
What I found with those knock-off "california" style is that even though they seem floppy...once they're in place and bolted down...they pretty much stay where they belong.  But, being the OCD type that I am...I took them apart, and put a small o-ring in between the mirror stalk and the base.  They're staying where they belong now, but still will fold up if someone (or something) dings into them.

On 693R, I bought a matched set of the ones that Moss sells...I see the new owner hasn't seen fit to change them.  The passenger (right side for us colonials..) side, I purchased a convex stick-on mirror the same size and it really improved the visibility out along that side.  I liked the style, and it is a period-correct mirror...

(Photo below is from the Indy show last summer...new owner took the car there...)
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline kram350kram

« Reply #24 on: Tuesday,December 13, 2022, 07:50:44 PM »
Fotog, yes original Raydyots, but go to Cobra Automotive ( http://www.cobraautomotive.com ). They have reproductions and you can see what nut is supplied. .

Offline DreamsOfA47

« Reply #25 on: Wednesday,December 14, 2022, 04:15:04 PM »
Those are definitely handy insights of the repro Raydyots. I'm not sure small details like that bother me too much but thats still very important to now they may show up lacking a super refined fit and finish.

Based on all y'all have said I think I'm going to get a convex  for at least the passenger side, if not yeah drivers's as well, whatever style of mirror I end up getting. Considering I have some clutch work to take care of the mirrors have become much less important lately!