Author Topic: Is there an engine removal step-by-step thread?  (Read 561 times)

Offline Tom999w

Is there an engine removal step-by-step thread?
« on: Tuesday,October 04, 2022, 09:49:38 AM »
I thought I saw a thread or a file somewhere on the internet with step by step instructions on how to remove the engine and trans as one piece out of the bottom of the car. Does anyone know where I can find that info? An old thread of mine from last February said that I was planning to remove/rebuild the engine; I'm just getting to it now! The Porsche, Fiat/Ferrari Dino and Crosley car projects took up most of the time! :BBQ:
« Last Edit: Tuesday,October 04, 2022, 09:51:34 AM by Tom999w »

Offline BDA

Re: Is there an engine removal step-by-step thread?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,October 04, 2022, 10:48:04 AM »
I've started this post a couple of times as I realize there are some reasons why it might be better to lower the engine and tranny rather than to pull it up and out. Mainly I think if you want to spruce up the engine bay and not want to separate the engine and tranny or if it's up in the air already. Otherwise, I don't see much advantage to it. Maybe I'm missing something.

But the answer to your question is it's pretty simple. You would disconnect all the wires, hoses, and accelerator and choke cable from the engine. Disconnect the wires from the starter. Support the engine and tranny while you disconnect the half shafts (I think the shocks will keep the suspension away from the tranny), disconnect the motor mounts, tranny mounts, shift linkage, clutch cable, and speedo cable. Then you can lower it to the floor. You can do some of those things before you jack it up like disconnecting the stuff from the engine, wires to the starter, shift linkage, speedo cable and clutch cable. You can also disconnect the half shafts when you get the weight off the wheels.

I've might have missed a couple of things but I don't think there are any tricks to it. It should be very straight forward.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,October 04, 2022, 11:33:39 AM »
IMHO it is a lot easier to disconnect the gearbox and take the engine out of the top than lift the rear of the car and drop the engine and gearbox out of the bottom.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,October 05, 2022, 07:07:26 AM »
I'm curious, do you have to disconnect the halfshafts from the tranny when you pull the engine out the top?

I've done three engine pulls out the bottom and the hardest part for me was removing the halfshsfts from the gearbox then realigning the splines to get the pin holes lined up correctly; it usually took a couple of tries. Probably the main reason I haven't tried to pull the engine out the top was the fear of the engine shifting mid-pull and damaging the body work since I usually work alone. With someone to help guide the engine as it comes out that won't be a problem.

Joji Tokumoto

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,October 05, 2022, 08:25:52 AM »
I'm curious, do you have to disconnect the halfshafts from the tranny when you pull the engine out the top?

I've done three engine pulls out the bottom and the hardest part for me was removing the halfshsfts from the gearbox then realigning the splines to get the pin holes lined up correctly; it usually took a couple of tries. Probably the main reason I haven't tried to pull the engine out the top was the fear of the engine shifting mid-pull and damaging the body work since I usually work alone. With someone to help guide the engine as it comes out that won't be a problem.

Joji Tokumoto

Having pulled a few in my day...what I found works (if I'm doing it alone) is that using a strap around the trans just in back of the half shafts, cinching it together at the top of the trans, and strap at the front (in front of the oil filter (if renault) or oil pump (TC), and cinching it together tight on top of the valve cover, and slightly biasing it on a balance fitting to the front works ok.  Haven't dropped or had one slip yet.  Not saying it can't, but for the 10 minutes or so to go from attach to out the back...has worked for me so far.

Good thing (especially for the Renault; I don't know anyone who has the hoist fitting that is described in the manual) is that there is NO pulling pressure on the head to break the top or bottom seals; for the TC, I'm pretty sure that isn't an issue, but, why depend on the head bolts to carry the load of the cast iron block and its contents on those 10 bolts through an aluminum alloy head.  May be overthinking it, but hasn't served me wrong yet.  Just my $.03.
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline Tom999w

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,October 05, 2022, 08:40:13 AM »
I only wanted to take it out of the bottom because I don't have a hoist but I do have a few jacks. I'm also working alone so figured to let gravity do the hard work.

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,October 05, 2022, 11:31:59 AM »
I only wanted to take it out of the bottom because I don't have a hoist but I do have a few jacks. I'm also working alone so figured to let gravity do the hard work.

Unless you lay it over after you drop it out the bottom on to a dolly...hope you have at least one or two good friends to help you lift the back end up so you can push the car forward over the lump.  No place in your area you can rent a crane for a weekend?  I'd loan you mine if I was closer...
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline BDA

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,October 05, 2022, 12:25:21 PM »
My thought too. Usually a rent-all sort of place has stuff like that to rent. You might even try a parts store. I recently "borrowed" a puller from a local Advance Auto. You pay for it and when you bring it back they give you back your money. It's a really great deal. I didn't look for anything as big as an engine hoist but I wouldn't be surprised if they had one. At the very worst, your local parts store would probably know where to rent/borrow one.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday,October 05, 2022, 02:19:27 PM »
Ok, I can get that and there's no reason as to why you can't take it apart from underneath. But it's a heavy old lump and if you leave the gearbox in place then you will severely restrict your movement and access to get it out from under.

When I repaired my chassis I dropped the frame complete with engine/gearbox using a couple of jacks, the same principle you're looking at. If you drop the engine on a dolly then the top of the engine will be lower than it was in my case (on a rolling chassis) but the car had to be well in the air to roll it out.  I've added some old shots to give you some idea of how high the body was, at best you'd only be 3-6" lower than this ?

I'd guess you'll probably need the complete car in the air to clear the body or at the very least it's going to be a steep angle. If I were doing the job that way I reckon I'd make a frame to support the body/chassis to get a safe working height then drop the engine/transmission out as one lump, splitting it when it's clear. It might even be an idea to remove the head before starting, it would give you less weight and more "wiggle room".

Brian

Offline BDA

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,October 05, 2022, 02:44:33 PM »
With the car three feet in the air, you'd want something to jack the engine/tranny down like a transmission jack. I would think that if you could get one of those, you could get a hoist.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday,October 05, 2022, 10:21:55 PM »
Hi BDA,

I don't think you'd necessarily need an engine/transmission jack. If everything is undone then simply lifting the body/chassis as one unit on planks should lift the body clear and leave the engine sitting on the dolly/floor underneath. It's dragging it out that I would probably struggle with, and why I've got an engine hoist packed away !

Brian

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #11 on: Thursday,October 06, 2022, 01:00:44 AM »
I bought a cheap engine crane from Machine Mart.

It lifts up to 1 tonne, it is easy to move and makes engine removal very easy.

IMHO lifting the whole rear of the car high enough to clear the engine would not be easy, plus getting the engine and gearbox back in will be much more difficult.

I would buy or hire a crane.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #12 on: Thursday,October 06, 2022, 06:49:15 AM »
This is the rig I used to re-install the engine/trans combo. Picture 2 shows the frame sitting on jack stands and the engine hoist straps moved to lift the engine up to install the mount brackets. To remove the engine, I just used a floor jack to lower the engine  after everything was disconnected and then pull it out carefully. This makes for a one person job.

Offline BDA

« Reply #13 on: Thursday,October 06, 2022, 07:32:28 AM »
Hi BDA,

I don't think you'd necessarily need an engine/transmission jack. If everything is undone then simply lifting the body/chassis as one unit on planks should lift the body clear and leave the engine sitting on the dolly/floor underneath. It's dragging it out that I would probably struggle with, and why I've got an engine hoist packed away !

Brian
Good point!