Author Topic: K&N Air Filter for TCS  (Read 554 times)

Offline garyp

K&N Air Filter for TCS
« on: Tuesday,August 30, 2022, 08:20:13 AM »
I need an air filter.  Has anyone had some made by K&N?  I can't find an off-the-shelf model that will fit the stock housing.
Gary Pollard
'74 TC 4224R
Wendell, NC USA

Offline BDA

Re: K&N Air Filter for TCS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,August 30, 2022, 08:50:09 AM »
Moss has them (https://mossmotors.com/air-filter-assembly-2). They might be available elsewhere for less money.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,August 30, 2022, 09:14:18 AM »
K&N filters are a good option if you do not have an easy stock set-up.  So, if you are fitting custom carbs and intake for an example.  If you can use a folded paper filter, do so!  It has a much higher filter area and filters finer particles than the oil-soaked cotton of the K&N filters.  This is especially important in Europas as there is a lot of dirty air due to debris and dust kicked up by the wheels.

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,August 30, 2022, 02:06:24 PM »
K&N filters are a good option if you do not have an easy stock set-up.  So, if you are fitting custom carbs and intake for an example.  If you can use a folded paper filter, do so!  It has a much higher filter area and filters finer particles than the oil-soaked cotton of the K&N filters.  This is especially important in Europas as there is a lot of dirty air due to debris and dust kicked up by the wheels.

My car came with a K&N installed on the stromberg air box.  I cleaned and painted the OEM filter can (it was in one of the packing cases full of used/never installed parts that came with the car), picked up a proper air filter, and reinstalled as the gnomes had designed it.  Found the intake quieter (no kidding) and the response was more smooth over the RPM range.  Thinking they knew what they were doing when they designed and built the thing. 

I second JB's comment...there's a lot more filter area on a folded paper filter, better capture of dust and such.  Besides, the maintenance is remove old filter, toss, replace with new.  Probably the easiest (well, spark plugs are simple too..) maintenance task on these things.  I tossed the K&M after putting the OEM bits back in place.
« Last Edit: Tuesday,August 30, 2022, 02:11:45 PM by Bryan Boyle »
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,August 30, 2022, 03:57:14 PM »
I live in a dry, dusty climate.  With the original TC filter, which I used on my crossflow S1, the air filter element needs changing every 5K.  I did further modifications and fit an air cleaner off an 80's XJ6 with a lot more filter area.  Now it lasts about 8K.  Just some info to consider if you think your car is starting to run rich for no apparent reason.

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,August 31, 2022, 12:12:23 AM »
On a similar topic - has anybody in the UK got an original TCS air box they would like to part with?   

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #6 on: Thursday,September 01, 2022, 12:47:48 AM »
I need an air filter.  Has anyone had some made by K&N?  I can't find an off-the-shelf model that will fit the stock housing.
Hi, do you have any photo's you can post of the "stock housing" - I am needing to make one.

Offline Sparkrite

« Reply #7 on: Thursday,September 01, 2022, 12:20:17 PM »
I had the air box cover for a different model so made a mould and made my own in fibreglass. Do you need the backplate as well as the cover.

Offline Bryan Boyle

• 1974 Europa JPS #142 3291R
    • Lotus Europa Collection
« Reply #8 on: Thursday,September 01, 2022, 12:34:51 PM »
Hi, do you have any photo's you can post of the "stock housing" - I am needing to make one.

http://www.lotuseuropa.us/lotus-europa.com/manuals/tcparts/e/ej.htm
Bryan Boyle
Fall River MA
Morrisville PA
Commercial Pilot/CFII/FAA Safety Team
Amateur Extra Class Operator & FCC Volunteer Examiner
Currently working on 3291R, ex 444R, 693R, 65/2163, 004R, 65/2678
http://www.lotuseuropa.us for mirror of lotus-europa.com manual site.

Offline garyp

« Reply #9 on: Thursday,September 01, 2022, 01:26:57 PM »
Here are some photos.  I expect that it will be easier to find a used one than to make one.  All of the threaded parts are 1/4-20.  If you need something specific, let me know.
Gary Pollard
'74 TC 4224R
Wendell, NC USA

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #10 on: Friday,September 02, 2022, 01:01:15 AM »
I had the air box cover for a different model so made a mould and made my own in fibreglass. Do you need the backplate as well as the cover.

Yes - unfortunately I need everything. :-[

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #11 on: Friday,September 02, 2022, 01:04:00 AM »
http://www.lotuseuropa.us/lotus-europa.com/manuals/tcparts/e/ej.htm

Perfect - many thanks to everyone - I can work with this.
I have never been able to successfully access such data myself  :confused:

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #12 on: Friday,September 02, 2022, 10:25:32 PM »

If you've not found it before, this is the best source of manuals/past mods/etc in one easy page

http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/index.htm

Brian

Offline GavinT

« Reply #13 on: Friday,September 02, 2022, 11:01:47 PM »
Never tried a K&N filter but just my standard caution for anyone considering Ram-Flo air filters (because there was a post on Ram-Flo filters somewhere which I now can't find).
I fitted one of these Ram-Flo filters to a '69 Ford Capri (2-barrel DD Weber) I had at the time largely because they had a reputation for better air flow and to make the engine sound a bit throaty.

Less than a year on and I was having the engine reconditioned. The engine builder said he'd seen it all before, blaming the air filter. The insides of the carb throats were filthy with dust. Apparently they really only filter out big rocks. This is anecdotal, of course, and for others YMMV, as they say.
I later went to an oiled foam Uni-Filter installed in the stock Capri filter housing and that seemed to work fine using the propriety 'sticky' oil. Apparently the rally guys swear by them.

There's lots of air filter options out there if you're prepared to either oil or wash these things.
Me? . . I gave up on the promises and associated maintenance and went back to the decades old and proven paper filters if only for their economical and fuss free nature.

On the Europa (Renault cross flow and 40DCOE's), I used the fairly short Warneford paper filters because there wasn't really much room to avoid interference with the fibreglass. I later cut away the intrusive bodywork.
The main problem with this installation was that rain would come through the vents and soak the filters - not much room for ram tubes, either. Finally, I made an air box and used a remote mounted paper filter more or less copying the TC which fixed the rain problem and shut up the racket from the carbs.
« Last Edit: Saturday,September 03, 2022, 12:12:58 AM by GavinT »

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #14 on: Saturday,September 03, 2022, 05:13:59 AM »

If you've not found it before, this is the best source of manuals/past mods/etc in one easy page

http://lotus-europa.com/manuals/index.htm

Brian

Many thanks - yes have seen it before - but like an idiot I keep forgetting to refer to it.  :confused: