Author Topic: Missing reverse in 365 gearbox  (Read 222 times)

Offline RacerX

Missing reverse in 365 gearbox
« on: Sunday,August 07, 2022, 08:51:28 PM »
I've been working on the shift linkage of my 74 TCS with 365 gearbox and now have it shifting into 1-5 better. However, I can't get Reverse. I can engage it but it's like it's not there. When breaking the reverse gate detent my shift linkage is close/sometimes touching the LH driveshaft so I pulled the linkage off today and manually moved the shift selector shaft to the reverse gate, pushed it in, it clicks into place, let out the clutch... and nothing.
 Has anyone else seen this issue?
Thanks! Mark

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
Re: Missing reverse in 365 gearbox
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,August 07, 2022, 10:36:35 PM »
Have you ever had reverse since you got the car? Did the guy you got it from?

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Monday,August 08, 2022, 05:46:36 AM »
The main cause of not being able to select reverse is play/wear in the linkage.  However, no reverse at all even if selected manually means it’s an internal issue.

Jack up the rear and support it on jack stands.  Work your way manually through every gear, testing it with the engine running as you go.  Still no reverse?  Time to pull the transaxle.

This is actually a good thing to do on any unknown car.  Certain 365 parts are impossible to find.  Better to make sure everything is good and sealed and set-up properly before adding on the miles.

Offline RacerX

« Reply #3 on: Monday,August 08, 2022, 11:59:17 AM »
No reverse in the 5 weeks I've owned it, previous long term owner is no longer with us. I'll put it back up on stands and step thru the gears one by one, but is sounds like I'll have to pull it out. Not the first trans I've pulled... but I was trying to avoid splitting the case and all the preload/backlash and "while you are in there" fun. I was really hoping I was over/under rotating past the Reverse shift rail and It was a Reverse detent/stop adjustment....
 Sure wish it was a Hewland... I'd have it open and figured out in no time!
Thanks,
Mark
« Last Edit: Monday,August 08, 2022, 01:42:37 PM by RacerX »

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #4 on: Monday,August 08, 2022, 12:36:54 PM »
The Renault gearboxes are not too difficult to work on.

Once you have split the casing, it should be obvious what is wrong.

My guess is you will find lots of pieces of metal which are not where they should be, or a loose selector.

It can only really be the selector rod and the C shaped bit that engages reverse. I assume there are no synchro rings on reverse.