Author Topic: Car Cover, and that Damned Puddle  (Read 324 times)

Offline surfguitar58

Car Cover, and that Damned Puddle
« on: Sunday,March 20, 2022, 05:03:05 AM »
My 6 year old car cover is about to give up the ghost. Anybody have a better option for a fitted TCS cover than the usual (carcover.com/carcovers.com/carcoverstore.com) options? This would be an outdoor cover for New England summer only, though early spring/late fall snow has been known to catch me off guard.

Bonus question: Anybody have a clever way of dealing with the puddle that accumulates in the dam created by the spoiler on the rear deck of a covered Europa? I'm going with a piece of 1.5 inch construction foam over a terrycloth towel under the cover, but wondered if there was a better idea out there. Sucks not having a garage.

Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline dakazman

Re: Car Cover, and that Damned Puddle
« Reply #1 on: Sunday,March 20, 2022, 05:49:46 AM »
How about a 3/4 pvc tent frame sitting on top of panel, with car cover on top. On top of a towel of course. Square base with a centered longitudinal pole to the other center.
  My. El Camino is a big bathtub.
Dakazman

Offline Kendo

« Reply #2 on: Sunday,March 20, 2022, 06:42:06 AM »
For the first two years I had my Europa before building the garage, I built a PVC “geodesic dome” over the car that held an extra large cover a few inches away from the car all around. It was easy enough to lift off to take a drive. But a garage is better. What about one of those portable carports made of steel and some kind of roof?

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,March 20, 2022, 07:53:08 AM »
I bought the Coverking stormproof car cover.  I am extremely happy with it.

https://coverking.com/products/1974-lotus-europa-car-cover?variant=40329560064162&sub=Special&main=car-cover-stormproof.

The previous two covers I had over the years I was not happy with. 
This cover holds up, is easy to put on and take off, and looks great. 

I bought it in 2019.

It is not cheap though.  I guess you get what you pay for.

Offline gideon

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,March 20, 2022, 10:48:36 AM »
Do you have space for an inexpensive tent style carport?  Keep the sun and rain off for less than the cost of a fitted cover.   Pack it away in the winter when your car goes wherever it goes for the winter. 

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #6 on: Sunday,March 20, 2022, 01:47:25 PM »
Thanks for the great advice guys!

I bought the Coverking stormproof car cover.  I am extremely happy with it.

https://coverking.com/products/1974-lotus-europa-car-cover?variant=40329560064162&sub=Special&main=car-cover-stormproof.

Paul, that's exactly what I want. Ordering mine today. Thanks!

Regarding the carport/garage tent approach, I had a 16' x 20' version that served me well for a few years. It was located at my mum's house nearby, but sadly she passed away last year (aged 101, after a fulfilling life) and we sold her home. I currently live in an "historic district" and a tent at my house would be severely frowned upon by the town and my snooty neighbors. I've got my eye out for a rental garage, but they are like unicorns around here and astronomically expensive. The summer cover and off-site winter storage will have to do for now.
Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #7 on: Sunday,March 20, 2022, 01:57:35 PM »
I think you will be happy with it.

What color did you get?

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #8 on: Sunday,March 20, 2022, 02:44:24 PM »
I think you will be happy with it.

What color did you get?

I went with tan, 'cause the Europa is all about understatement and subtlety.  :FUNNY:
t
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline dakazman

« Reply #9 on: Sunday,March 20, 2022, 05:39:52 PM »
   Yes Surf, very subtle with your gorgeous livery.
I pulled the trigger and purchased that 10x 20 tent . I can use it on and off for parties and if I decide to work outside . Hell for 78$ it will definitely be fun for the kids.
Guys ,
I do love your cover but I’m really looking into a 8 x 16 cargo carrier dual axle. In green so I can paint a nice yellow lotus emblem on it. However we are talking covers here.
Dakazman

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #10 on: Monday,March 21, 2022, 05:00:06 AM »
   Yes Surf, very subtle with your gorgeous livery.
I pulled the trigger and purchased that 10x 20 tent . I can use it on and off for parties and if I decide to work outside . Hell for 78$ it will definitely be fun for the kids.
Guys ,
I do love your cover but I’m really looking into a 8 x 16 cargo carrier dual axle. In green so I can paint a nice yellow lotus emblem on it. However we are talking covers here.
Dakazman

D’man, the guy who delivered my car from CT had a trailer like that (sans the logo). Very nice. Earlier I mentioned my 12 x 20 garage tent, it’s worth noting that I bought a cheap one and the fabric cover was totally UV degraded in 1 year. Another example of you get what you pay for.
t
Antoine de Saint-Exupery