Author Topic: Special Front Hubs/Uprights  (Read 1364 times)

Offline SwiftDB4

Re: Special Front Hubs/Uprights
« Reply #30 on: Friday,August 20, 2021, 08:47:10 AM »
4 pot Wilwood calipers with 1.75" pistons (44mm) will fit on a 10" rotor inside 13" wheels. I run those front with 35mm 4 pot Wilwood rears. Custom rotors were required. Wilwood calipers are not expensive in U.S., but maybe in OZ?

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #31 on: Friday,August 20, 2021, 09:29:21 AM »
4 pot Wilwood calipers with 1.75" pistons (44mm) will fit on a 10" rotor inside 13" wheels. I run those front with 35mm 4 pot Wilwood rears. Custom rotors were required. Wilwood calipers are not expensive in U.S., but maybe in OZ?
Do the rear calipers have a parking brake feature?
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Clifton

« Reply #32 on: Friday,August 20, 2021, 12:36:44 PM »

I bought my alloy hubs from the premier Elan racing guy in the uk, Tony Thompson Racing as I had heard so many horror stories about the bearings coming loose, his have a very large interference fit so that they dont.

My uprights are 1990 Caterham 7 with spherical bearings at the bottom instead of the trunnion

Ooh,  Can I ask about your uprights?  I can work out a spherical bearing mount at the bottom but did your caliper bolt up just as it did to the Spitfire upright, was the rotor and hub offset the same? I know Europa's use the bolt on caliper mount ears and the Caterham and newer Sptifires are cast in. On Spits, the hubs PN's are different too for each type too. I would love to run these but don't want to remake my front brake rotor hats.

Offline SwiftDB4

« Reply #33 on: Friday,August 20, 2021, 01:06:03 PM »
Do the rear calipers have a parking brake feature?
No that wasn't important to me, but could be to others.

Offline TCS4605R

« Reply #34 on: Friday,August 20, 2021, 05:47:10 PM »
SwiftDB4 - what dia. pots do your Wilwood calipers have - front and rear and where did you get your rear rotors?  I have Wilwood 4-pot calipers on the front - don't remember the pot dia.  Looking to add discs on the rear.

Tom
TCS - 4605R

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #35 on: Friday,August 20, 2021, 06:54:17 PM »
Clifton:  I use the spherical uprights from Canley.  I think they are the same.  Everything bolts right up except you’ll need the newer style disc shields and steering arms.

Offline SwiftDB4

« Reply #36 on: Friday,August 20, 2021, 10:23:41 PM »
SwiftDB4 - what dia. pots do your Wilwood calipers have - front and rear and where did you get your rear rotors?  I have Wilwood 4-pot calipers on the front - don't remember the pot dia.  Looking to add discs on the rear.

Tom
TCS - 4605R
Front 1.75" rear 1.375" pistons. Custom rotors by Coleman Racing Products.

Offline GavinT

« Reply #37 on: Friday,August 20, 2021, 11:19:04 PM »
Got a message back from my friend.
He says he can't remember which GTV, but from his pics, it would appear he's using the later GTV-V6 caliper . . which would make sense because he fitted a thicker, vented disc.

Offline Clifton

« Reply #38 on: Saturday,August 21, 2021, 05:14:43 AM »
Clifton:  I use the spherical uprights from Canley.  I think they are the same.  Everything bolts right up except you’ll need the newer style disc shields and steering arms.

Thanks JB. Canley sells the uprights individually too. I will see if there is room to make my own lower mount with a uniball cup similar to how Spyder does them.

Offline MRN I J

• Four Ashes Garage
« Reply #39 on: Saturday,August 21, 2021, 05:31:32 AM »

I bought my alloy hubs from the premier Elan racing guy in the uk, Tony Thompson Racing as I had heard so many horror stories about the bearings coming loose, his have a very large interference fit so that they dont.

My uprights are 1990 Caterham 7 with spherical bearings at the bottom instead of the trunnion

Ooh,  Can I ask about your uprights?  I can work out a spherical bearing mount at the bottom but did your caliper bolt up just as it did to the Spitfire upright, was the rotor and hub offset the same? I know Europa's use the bolt on caliper mount ears and the Caterham and newer Sptifires are cast in. On Spits, the hubs PN's are different too for each type too. I would love to run these but don't want to remake my front brake rotor hats.

The Europa calipers bolt straight on to the later Seven uprights with the STD discs, the car has AP Racing calipers & vented discs ready to use iwhen it is rebuilt, I think the rear discs are Fiat with CNC machined alloy mounting brackets, the kit was made for me over 30 years ago but not used yet
Regards Chris

other cars inc wifes cars
Aston Martin DB MkIII DHC (wifes)
Aston Martin DB2 Saloon (shared)
MkI Austin Cooper S with less than 50k miles on it
Oldest existing LR Discovery S3, one of 1st 125 hand built cars
Peugeot 406 with less than 55k miles on it

Offline TCS4605R

« Reply #40 on: Saturday,August 21, 2021, 06:29:52 PM »
SwiftDB4,

Can you give me the specs for the Coleman rear rotors?  O.D., thickness and offset?  Do they fit inside of the Lotus 13" wheels?  Do you have any pictures?

Still have the DB4?  I used to crew for Jim Wight and his DB4 - Jim is still racing in vintage races - think Jim is close to 80!

Tom

Offline SwiftDB4

« Reply #41 on: Saturday,August 21, 2021, 10:04:22 PM »
SwiftDB4,

Can you give me the specs for the Coleman rear rotors?  O.D., thickness and offset?  Do they fit inside of the Lotus 13" wheels?  Do you have any pictures?

Still have the DB4?  I used to crew for Jim Wight and his DB4 - Jim is still racing in vintage races - think Jim is close to 80!

Tom
.375" thick, 1.5" offset, 10.0" diameter, 2.438" center opening.
Don't know if they fit inside Lotus 13' wheels. They do fit both the 7x13" American Racing Vector wheels and Bogart wheels I have. Suppose you could reduce the rotor diameter if they don't fit your wheels.
Raced the Swift in SCCA 1998-2004. Don't think I ever raced against Jim as I lived in WY and WA. Good for Jim- hard to keep driving an Atlantic when you get old.
« Last Edit: Saturday,August 21, 2021, 10:09:09 PM by SwiftDB4 »