Author Topic: TCS Original Wheels  (Read 701 times)

Offline Dilkris

TCS Original Wheels
« on: Saturday,July 03, 2021, 03:40:57 AM »
I have been playing around with the original wheels on my TCS rebuild - just to see if I can "refurb" them to an acceptable standard myself - so lots of experimenting.
I have been using the worst rim to try things out on (see photo).
My question is - is the black finish to the inside of the wheels also or just on the outer face?

Offline TurboFource

Re: TCS Original Wheels
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,July 03, 2021, 04:31:43 AM »
My 5 wheels are black on the inside....
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline Exlimey

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,July 03, 2021, 05:46:07 AM »
Back,front and beneath the tire. It’s not black,it’s a dark grey ( maybe with a hint of green) . I have read that Porsche metallic graphite is pretty much correct.

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,July 03, 2021, 05:55:15 AM »
Turbofource and Exlimey, thanks for your feedback - perfect.
Not building for concourse so satin black will be good for me.  :)

Offline BDA

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,July 03, 2021, 06:07:01 AM »
 :I-agree: with Exlimey about the color. It’s difficult to describe and if you don’t have a good example, impossible to match. If originally is important to you, try to at least get a good picture of an old wheel.

Offline Sparkrite

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,July 03, 2021, 01:48:01 PM »
DILKRIS, what did you use and how did you clean and prep the rims. I am considering doing mine. 

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #6 on: Friday,July 09, 2021, 08:54:48 AM »
For those of you following this thread - there is also another running parallel to this and posted recently by rjbaren, see thread below.
http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=4616.0
It is considered worthy to read them both.

I opt to continue from Sparkrite's comment.
"DILKRIS, what did you use and how did you clean and prep the rims. I am considering doing mine."

To recap - my wheels were as show (pic Beginning 1/2)

I won't go into detail in how I did the polishing but please refer to photo showing everything I used ( pic, Tools Utilized) to achieve the finish as shown in the photos (pics, Highlights Polished) - hopefully the technique will be obvious from looking at the tools etc. (It took about 6 hours per wheel for the polishing, I still have to paint and final polish so all in - call it 8 hours a wheel.....  :headbanger: The polishing is awkward as the surfaces to be polished are well "contained" - if this makes sense. ( :confused:)

I DID NOT work my way through 80,120,180,220, 400.....1000,2000,3000 papers .... but went from 80 to 180, fiber polishing disc with soap to scotch brite, (I discovered the polishing effect was a function of grit size and speed.) - when they are painted I will finish with the polishing mop and Autosol. Hand polishing throughout was minimal.   

I had my wheels shot blasted (I thought they were going to be bead blasted....  :holdurbreath:) so this gave a finish to the wheels obviously requiring a lot of polishing (pic, Shot Blasted) - the plus side to this however, (in my way of thinking), is that I have a good keyed surface for paint. (Pic, Experiment Spare Wheel) is just that - the wheel was badly damaged so I used this to experiment with polishing techniques and painting - I sprayed it with Hammerite Satin Black and it has keyed well to the surface of the aluminum (I've tried scraping it off and it holds well) - the color may not be 100% Lotus correct but for me it is more than acceptable.

Yes - the polished sections have to be masked before painting.

Please note the above should not be regarded as the proper way to refurbish these wheels - it was just my way.  :confused:

Finally, I made a simple arrangement from my engine stand so as I can easily revolve the wheels when spraying - I also used this when I was polishing the outer edge face of the rim, (ie that part that is seen when the tyre is fitted) pic, Wheel Jig.

In conclusion its pretty painful - hope this helps.  :))         

Offline jlmullen2

« Reply #7 on: Friday,July 09, 2021, 10:16:24 AM »
One tip I used on making the polished spokes, I used normal blue painters tape making sure it overlapped all edges and was secure. I then used several new X-Acto blades to carefully trim along the edges. I changed the blade several times as you need a really sharp blade to get a good edge on the taped spokes. Very time consuming but worth it.
Larry
Larry Mullen
73 Europa TC Special
97 Saleen 281
04 Subaru WRX

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #8 on: Friday,July 09, 2021, 12:05:33 PM »
One tip I used on making the polished spokes, I used normal blue painters tape making sure it overlapped all edges and was secure. I then used several new X-Acto blades to carefully trim along the edges. I changed the blade several times as you need a really sharp blade to get a good edge on the taped spokes. Very time consuming but worth it.
Larry
Agreed - it is also available in rolls of 2,5 and 7mm widths .... :beerchug:   

Offline GavinT

« Reply #9 on: Friday,July 09, 2021, 02:00:24 PM »

Finally, I made a simple arrangement from my engine stand so as I can easily revolve the wheels when spraying - I also used this when I was polishing the outer edge face of the rim, (ie that part that is seen when the tyre is fitted) pic, Wheel Jig.

Yes, I saw you've mounted a wheel on the engine stand.
Is that because mounting the wheel on the rear of the car while it was jacked up and idling in third gear was too fast when sanding & polishing the rim? . . if you see the way I'm drifting here.  :D

Offline SilverBeast

• 1974 Twin Cam Special
« Reply #10 on: Friday,July 09, 2021, 02:14:42 PM »

Is that because mounting the wheel on the rear of the car while it was jacked up and idling in third gear was too fast when sanding & polishing the rim? . . if you see the way I'm drifting here.  :D

If you were drifting you'd end up with transverse scratches on the rim.....  :)

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #11 on: Saturday,July 10, 2021, 09:06:25 AM »

Not too sure if this was a wind up comment....  :)) :)) :)) but, taken at face value I reply as follows:-

My car is a 100% rebuild (see photo's) and whilst it is maybe a days work away from running "as is" - I am deferring this stage, but do periodically turn the engine over on the starter. (Hence the starter panel and oil pressure gauge you can see)

Polishing wheels on the car as suggested would be "kneel down" job so having them at waste height on the engine stand was a great help. (Having a set up to revolve the wheels whilst polishing would be a big help though - and I'm sure the professionals do it this way - but it was awkward for me to build)

I was also thinking of being able to revolve the wheel during spraying as being useful - which I wouldn't want to do on the car.

Now your laughing cos I replied to your comment and you were only joking right.......???:FUNNY: :FUNNY:   

Offline Soulsaver

« Reply #12 on: Saturday,July 10, 2021, 03:15:43 PM »
I know there maybe a bit of teeth gnashing... but here you go for advice, obviously you can choose to ignore it.

These Lotus TC wheels shouldn't be polished, originally they were/are diamond cut on a (big) lathe. If you look closely at one that hasn't been butchered you'll see the concentric cut lines in the 'spokes' surface.

If you want absolute originality Diamond Styling had the lathes and the original profile templates and colour pallet for these wheels. Originals are indeed grey not black.

They may not be cheap, it was 30 years ago when I had mine done there. And if your not in the UK at least you'll know what service to search for.

http://diamondstyling.co.uk/

Offline GavinT

« Reply #13 on: Saturday,July 10, 2021, 05:14:47 PM »
Now your laughing cos I replied to your comment and you were only joking right.......???:FUNNY: :FUNNY:

Certainly was.  :FUNNY:
But in all seriousness, it's looking great . . and I always appreciate the many innovative problem solving ideas people come up with - truely inspiring.