Author Topic: Banks Twin Link Rear Suspension  (Read 2687 times)

Offline neilwillatt

Banks Twin Link Rear Suspension
« on: Saturday,April 24, 2021, 04:19:17 AM »
Hi,

New member here.  My name is Neil from Sheffield England. 

Does anybody have any experience with the 'Banks Twin Link Rear Suspension system' which is available from Europa Engineering in England?

I am a retired engineer and instinctively dislike the Chapman fixed length driveshaft arrangement which seems to rely on double roll pins locking the spliced joint between the differential and the driveshafts, thus subjecting the differential and the Hardy Spicer joints to compression and tension forces which they were not really designed to withstand.

Does the Banks system eliminate this and leave the spliced joint to slide slightly with suspension movement as it should.

Any comments welcome, even if they are only to tell me that I have misunderstood the whole thing !

Neil Willatt

Offline TurboFource

Re: Banks Twin Link Rear Suspension
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,April 24, 2021, 04:30:32 AM »
 :Welcome:

I have not gotten that far in my project but I am considering this mod at some point....

Post pics of your Europa!
The more I do the more I find I need to do....

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
« Reply #2 on: Saturday,April 24, 2021, 05:11:36 AM »

You are understanding it correctly, the upper link relieves the driveshaft and transmission of the forces it was originally subjected to as you have described. If the driveshaft fails the suspension remains as it was and the car can still be moved on its wheels (can also refit the crossmember after the engine and transmission have been removed to roll the car about, which you can’t do with the original setup and can be a pita!).

The kit is pretty easy to install and should come with everything you need to complete the job.

Offline MRN I J

• Four Ashes Garage
« Reply #3 on: Saturday,April 24, 2021, 06:16:03 AM »
if you use UK made very high quality uj's and adjustable bottom arms for camber correction the original system isn't so bad, however I do see the attraction

https://www.lotus-supplies.com/parts/suspension/rear-corners/twin-link-rear-suspension-system-kit-s1-s2/
Regards Chris

other cars inc wifes cars
Aston Martin DB MkIII DHC (wifes)
Aston Martin DB2 Saloon (shared)
MkI Austin Cooper S with less than 50k miles on it
Oldest existing LR Discovery S3, one of 1st 125 hand built cars
Peugeot 406 with less than 55k miles on it

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,April 24, 2021, 07:55:35 AM »
I have the twin-link system.  It works as advertised and almost exactly mimics the original geometry.  The only note is to not drill the uprights for the small side support.  The uprights are just too thin for it to actually provide any support and you needlessly create a weak point in the upright.   I double checked with Richard and he agreed.

That all said, the original system actually works very well if properly maintained.  There is a special spacer between the inner half-shaft yoke and the diff carrier bearings.  You shim between the spacer and the yoke so that the loads go into the massive carrier bearings.  If you don’t, then the loads go into diff spider gears quickly destroying them.  Just follow the recommended maintenance and check the shim pack every 5K.  The pins actually do nothing but provide a reference point for the proper size of the shim pack.
« Last Edit: Saturday,April 24, 2021, 07:57:12 AM by jbcollier »

Online S2Zetec54

« Reply #5 on: Saturday,April 24, 2021, 09:30:28 AM »

I have a Banks system....seems to work well. I have no experience of the original system...I fitted a spyder chassis and rear suspension conversion to my last Europa and that worked well as well.....loooong time ago now.

I admire the the original system and in many ways it is what a Europa is....but I have always been scared of it not being hugely experienced

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #6 on: Saturday,April 24, 2021, 10:11:52 AM »
The real weak point is the rear stub axles which seem to be made out of not-very-many-days-old butter.  There are a variety of solutions out there.  Here's another one that was new to me:

http://www.pamotorsport.com/for_sale/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=279&virtuemart_category_id=36&Itemid=109

Honestly, I would have gone this way had I known about it.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #7 on: Saturday,April 24, 2021, 12:33:56 PM »
The real weak point is the rear stub axles which seem to be made out of not-very-many-days-old butter.  There are a variety of solutions out there.  Here's another one that was new to me:

http://www.pamotorsport.com/for_sale/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=279&virtuemart_category_id=36&Itemid=109

The website states that the stub axles are for the S1 Europa. Can anyone confirm that the original rear stub axles are the same across all series Europas?

Offline BDA

« Reply #8 on: Saturday,April 24, 2021, 12:50:33 PM »
 :Welcome: neilwillatt!!

I thought I'd chime in and say I have a Banks twin link kit installed on my car. My only complaint is that the upper arms don't use spherical rod ends which would make it a little bit nicer but certainly more expensive. Other than that, it's very nicely made as is all the Banks kits.

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your baby!

Offline SwiftDB4

« Reply #9 on: Saturday,April 24, 2021, 03:22:26 PM »
The website states that the stub axles are for the S1 Europa. Can anyone confirm that the original rear stub axles are the same across all series Europas?
TC axles use a larger U joint and 30mm inner bearing so no there are 2 different Europa axles.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #10 on: Saturday,April 24, 2021, 06:49:01 PM »
These are for the early “Imp” axle used in S1s and S2s.

Offline literarymadness

« Reply #11 on: Saturday,April 24, 2021, 10:41:18 PM »
 :Welcome: Interesting option.

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #12 on: Monday,April 26, 2021, 12:27:53 AM »
Thanks JB,

that's a very interesting option  :I-agree: 

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #13 on: Monday,April 26, 2021, 12:30:08 AM »
Hello Neil,

Mark

Offline Dilkris

« Reply #14 on: Monday,April 26, 2021, 12:58:14 AM »
Does the twin link rear suspension system fit the standard chassis?