Author Topic: Need to fix my S2 nose  (Read 315 times)

Offline Kowalken1

Need to fix my S2 nose
« on: Monday,February 22, 2021, 04:15:17 PM »
I have a 1971 S2 with some nose damage. The main thing that needs repair is the grill opening. Is there a place to buy the first foot or so of the body in the United States?

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: Need to fix my S2 nose
« Reply #1 on: Monday,February 22, 2021, 04:20:57 PM »
How bad is the damage? It's fiberglass, you can't patch it up? post some pictures.

Also  :Welcome:

Offline BDA

« Reply #2 on: Monday,February 22, 2021, 04:59:30 PM »
 :Welcome: Kowalken1!!

Some pictures would be really helpful to determine if you really need to graft a new nose on your car. Fiberglass is pretty easy to work with. If you have all the pieces, you should be able to fix it. Youtube is your friend. If you're not so adventurous, you could take it to a body shop with Corvette experience or other fiberglass experience. Perhaps a fiberglass boat shop.

When you go to post pictures, you'll likely need to resize them because there is a size limit. Here is one way to do it (http://www.lotuseuropa.org/LotusForum/index.php?topic=1379.0). Here is another (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_55eg00H-w).

Offline dakazman

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,February 23, 2021, 04:54:34 AM »
   :Welcome:

Kowalken1,
    Arts and crafts time is what I call it, but seriously after removing damage, at a minimum , body section tends to return to original shape. Then it’s just a matter of filling in the missing material and a lot of time.  Pictures will help also , I usually take a picture and mail it to myself at a smaller byte size, under 1 mb will usually be allowed.
  What is your level of experience and background? Also the manual does show some basics.

Dakazman

Offline gideon

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,February 23, 2021, 05:53:08 AM »
Welcome Kowalken1. Yes, you can get body sections.  I expect that R.D. Enterprises or Dave Bean can supply them but probably won't have them in stock, so they'd have to be ordered from England.  I believe the body sections are made by Boss Motors in Snetterton.

https://www.facebook.com/Boss-motors-1852531295061863/

Boss motors acquired original molds from Miles Wilkins when he retired, if I'm not mistaken.  RDent or Bean would likely order body sections direct from Boss Motors.

But do post some pictures.  It may well be easier and cheaper to repair the nose than replace it.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,February 24, 2021, 09:07:32 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Kowalken1.  :beerchug: Good luck with the fiberglass repairs.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor