Author Topic: 69 s2 europa tubes question  (Read 367 times)

Offline mike alain

• 5 years to build (with help)
69 s2 europa tubes question
« on: Saturday,February 13, 2021, 05:19:08 AM »
Folks,  you guys really save me on my dumb question,  here are some more.
  looking at the head from driver side there is a small port on left of exhaust manifold about  3/8 of in in in size,  where does it go,  I assume the breather tube
on top of valve cover goes to an air filter box?   also on my carb(actually below carb) there is a spacer about 1 in thick, that looks like a port for a pcv valve,
is ther one on this renualt engine?   there is a port on carb for timing,   where does this port below carb go to??   Thanks 
pls remember this car is a basket case and all this stuff was removed before I got car.

Offline Grumblebuns

Re: 69 s2 europa tubes question
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,February 13, 2021, 06:34:39 AM »
Without photos, I'm just guessing but that port in my picture went to the original Solex carb for emissions if I remember correctly. In my S2 I ran it back to the intake of the water pump.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,February 13, 2021, 08:00:10 AM »
If you're not going to use it, just plug it off.  Running a hose just has hot coolant bypassing the rad.

Offline BobW

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,February 13, 2021, 02:45:44 PM »
Yes, there is a PCV valve on the Renault engine. In this photo of a non-federal wedge-head, you'll see it as the small vertical cylinder beneath the rear of the air cleaner. The hose leading in from the left starts at the port at the base of the intake manifold. The hose leading out the top goes to a two-part plastic device, vaguely umbrella-shaped but with a fine mesh screen inside. It could be replaced with a tee. The small part of this device slips over the tube coming off the top of the valve cover. The umbrella-shaped bit connects via a hose to the cover of the air cleaner.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Saturday,February 13, 2021, 04:03:56 PM »
The mesh screen is a spark arrester to prevent carb backfires from igniting the crankcase fumes.  I'd leave it in.

Offline mike alain

• 5 years to build (with help)
« Reply #5 on: Sunday,February 14, 2021, 02:17:52 PM »
Thanks all,  again u have answered all my questions.