Author Topic: Timing chain  (Read 535 times)

Offline JNS

Timing chain
« on: Saturday,October 03, 2020, 04:23:41 AM »
Is there any way of knowing if the Timing chain is tensioned correctly other than removing the rockerbox cover and testing?
 Also if I wanted to change the chain do I need one with a split link so it can be attached to the old one and fed round the engine sprocket? Or must the engine be taken out to get to the Timing chest..
 Just thinking of something to do if there's another lockdown.
Thanks,
Jeff

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
Re: Timing chain
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,October 03, 2020, 04:32:40 AM »
I don't know of any other way than rocker cover off to test, engine out to change.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,October 03, 2020, 06:43:32 AM »
You can change the chain in situ.  You need to get a chain with a master link.  Make sure you fit the master link's retaining clip the correct way!  Continuous chains are better if you race or run the engine hard.

Offline JNS

« Reply #3 on: Sunday,October 04, 2020, 04:04:57 AM »
Thanks for the info. I do have a chain with a master link, so thats good to know.
Jeff

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #4 on: Sunday,October 04, 2020, 08:29:25 AM »
As the others have said, the only way to be 100% is to remove the cam cover.  They don't normally wear out in my experience, I've only ever replaced one many years ago (again with a split link) and in hindsight I don't think it was needed. Unless the adjustment screw is fully in I'd just leave it alone. They aren't under a lot of load and the dirt/grit that usually wears out chain links is excluded, plus of course it's continuously running with oil all over.

Brian

Offline Lotuswins

« Reply #5 on: Sunday,October 04, 2020, 12:32:02 PM »
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with two of the opinions here. 

1)  Having a master link.....I raced go karts when a teenager, and had the same size chain driving the rear axle back then, with the clip on master link.... even when on in the right direction, I would sometimes lose a chain... no big deal on a kart, you just have to go find the darn thing.  We went to a master link that had holes in the pins to insert a length of safety wire, they stayed on. 
The twink has a LARGE downside if that link comes apart, I don't even want to think of it.   I know others have had success with the link version, but really?  All you are gaining is a little convenience in exchange for a huge risk. 

2) Wear....yes they do wear.  When disassembling my twink, all the sprockets were worn as well as the chain.  I can't hazard a guess on mileage, but given that this little chain, single row at that, drives the twin cams, oil pump, distributor, jackshaft, and to top that all off, the alternator, I would think it has a short life span compared to other motors....

Just sayin....

Jerry Rude
4005R 

Offline Music City Lotus

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,October 13, 2020, 04:05:56 PM »
Does the chain make noise? If not, leave it be. If you only change the chain, the worn sprockets accelerate the wear on the new chain. And you risk that the chain tensioner comes apart, and then you have to pull the cover anyways. Furthermore, the chain sliders like to disintegrate, the plastic part comes loose from the metal carrier. If you want to do the timing chain, take the front cover off and inspect the tensioner and sliders, and change all components. r16shop.com has the complete set for 139Euro, and www.piece-alpine-r8.fr has the sliders for 72 Euro.
1971 Lotus Europa Type 65

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,October 13, 2020, 08:17:11 PM »
This is to do with the Lotus TC engine.