Author Topic: weber dfav  (Read 269 times)

Offline califkid_66

weber dfav
« on: Friday,August 28, 2020, 09:04:12 AM »
i installed à weber dfav  it as an aqua choke i did not connect the water pipes to the choke
the plugs are full of black soot and black smoke  when i rev
went for a drive started missing on some cylinders
 when switching to weber do we have to change the jets
or could it be my choke that is causing the carb to run rich
the idle mixture screw was 2 turns out i put it at 1.5 did not seem to smoke as much
but didn’t want to wake the neighbours
 in the picture attached is what the letters mean on a weber

Offline jbcollier

Re: weber dfav
« Reply #1 on: Friday,August 28, 2020, 09:54:22 AM »
A water heated choke will not open the choke plate unless it is properly plumbed in.  It must be running very poorly, if at all, when warm.  The manual choke version is the best way to go.

Stock engine?  There is a hot coolant out at the back of the head on the LH side.  The return goes to the water pump.  You want the return side of the pump, not the ouput.

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #2 on: Saturday,August 29, 2020, 08:00:38 AM »
i was thinking of converting to manuel i saw some conversion kits i can make the part but the ones i saw were from electric to manuel so i don’t know if it would be the same

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,August 29, 2020, 02:01:55 PM »
“Usually” the water element is just like the electric element and it can be removed, just three screws IIRC.  I would think any manual choke adapter for the electric element would also fit the water version.  There are some differences though.  The manual version would have a step-less fast idle cam while the electric and water versions will have stepped fast idle cams.  This means you have to either hold down the throttle as you apply the choke, or “blip” the throttle after applying the choke to get the fast idle cam in position.