Author Topic: As long as I am on this website...  (Read 2497 times)

Offline katanaman

As long as I am on this website...
« on: Friday,June 14, 2013, 06:23:07 PM »
  Just one quick goofy question for now...
  Why are there all of these photos of Loti with no caps to cover the center holes in the alloy wheels?  Do they fall off?  Was it fashion of the times when they were new?  Are they a popular item to steal?  I am considering trying a Moss Triumph Spitfire cap just to cap off the holes in mine.  Is this akin to wearing a fanny pack or bicycling with a helmet mounted rear view mirror?                                             Dan

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
Re: As long as I am on this website...
« Reply #1 on: Friday,June 14, 2013, 09:43:34 PM »
The original Lotus alloys came with wheel centers and they crop up on Ebay from time to time. Usually a blank disk and then you have a domed plastic badge that sticks on IIRC.  I made some from flat alloy plate and then used a plastic badge I bought from Ebay for the Cosmic alloys. They're held in place by a wire clip in a recessed groove like the original Cosmic centers are.  Since then I've discovered that you can buy wheel center blanks in several diameters on UK Ebay, which would be much easier to do.

Brian
« Last Edit: Friday,June 14, 2013, 09:45:29 PM by EuropaTC »

Offline 3929R

« Reply #2 on: Monday,June 17, 2013, 12:15:38 PM »
I think only the Twinks came with Lotus alloys. I found my center caps in the car (thanks Dad).  They are gray plastic and only held on by four wimpy tabs.  I assume they fall off quite easily.
RD sells the blanks, without the Lotus emblem.   You can see how they wouldn't be very secure.

http://www.carpictures.com/vehicle/05EQN514403993/Lotus-Europa-wheel-center-cap-1973#
Mark
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Offline cal44

« Reply #3 on: Monday,June 17, 2013, 06:59:12 PM »
Spot on Mark.......".wimpy tabs" is correct.  A few on- offs then they need a "sillly cone" type of glue to stay on.
"Be Polite, Be Professional, But have a plan to kill everyone you meet"
General "mad dog" James Mattis
United States Marines

Offline katanaman

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2013, 06:53:31 PM »
My friend might be "abandoning" his Triumph Spitfire -- his wife is adamant that he not throw any more money into his.  The engine chewed up its #2 piston and rings, and the cylinder didn't hone well...  I feel bad that he'll probably give up on it, and there is no rust.  But... if he does, I will buy his nice wheels that resemble Mini-Lights.  And the steering rack and front suspension.  My passenger side lower arm has a huge dent in it, and I have bought a used assembly for just that side, but I also know how well that Spitfire handles, and know what I would be getting.  But mostly it's because the Spit's wheels have nice hub caps.  They will have the Triumph logo on them, but I will proudly proclaim the Lotus' heritage!  I have considered silicone to prevent loss.  I do remember that after hauling the Lotus home all 1150 miles, that I was shocked to see both screws from one of the orange turn indicator lenses gone.  But the silicone the P.O. used held that lens in place till it got home.  I have decided that the laminated board I bought to fab a new dash is too thick.  I will switch to a thinner piece of ply.  Is there anything out there I should know before I buy?  Like marine ply, cabinet grade, etc...  And... what product to varnish it?  Varathane?  Something else?

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,June 19, 2013, 11:02:03 PM »
It might be worth checking out the front brakes as well, depending how good/bad your own are. The calipers should be the same and as they're fairly cheap it's handy to have a spare pair that you can overhaul and have waiting on the shelf for when they're needed.

I'm not sure about the rear drums, I think they're smaller than ours but it would be worth asking the question anyway.

Perhaps you buy some of those domed stickers from Ebay to go over the Triumph centres ? If so, voila, you have genuine Lotus minilites......   :)

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
« Reply #6 on: Thursday,June 20, 2013, 04:38:50 PM »
#1:  If you want the centers to stay on forever, 3M has a product called 5200 that is paintable (nothing sticks to silicone... Well, except silicone).  It's used mainly for marine repairs, but chances are, the substrate will give way before the 5200 does.  It takes several days to cure however.

#2 The logos on my steel wheel centers (fake spinners) were printed on my 3D printer, the exact size I needed, for cheap.  If you know someone with a printer, it might pay to ask for a favor.  You could pay for the plastic he/she uses and now that these printers are being sold at Staples here in the States, every neighborhood should have one.

#3 My aluminum wheels had screw-on centers, but wouldn't the centers that fit behind the wheels and protrude through the center opening work for alloys as well?  No losing those, unless your wheel falls off.
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.

Offline Roger

« Reply #7 on: Saturday,June 22, 2013, 06:22:54 AM »
I think only the Twinks came with Lotus alloys. I found my center caps in the car (thanks Dad).  They are gray plastic and only held on by four wimpy tabs.  I assume they fall off quite easily.
RD sells the blanks, without the Lotus emblem.  You can see how they wouldn't be very secure.

I bought some from Ray, and before I stick on the decals I intend to drill a hole and insert a thin bolt, long enough to reach inside the wheel to a hole in a strip of 16 ga steel about 1/2" wide  that sits on a convenient ledge. That way they won't fall out!

Offline Lou Drozdowski

• Type 74 TCS 3307R
« Reply #8 on: Saturday,June 22, 2013, 05:50:49 PM »
 Ah yes, center cap and emblems. Considering how hard it is to find some Lotus items, caps and emblems are not one of them. I was on ebay UK looking for a set for my Formula libre "Shelby" wheels and came across these...and had a dozen made to diameter.  Nicely embossed, vinyl domed they worked so well I put one on my spare steering wheel.ld