Author Topic: TC oil level  (Read 1907 times)

Offline buzzer

Re: TC oil level
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday,February 18, 2020, 03:16:04 AM »
My dip stick tube on TC special protrudes 2.85”, so the same as yours.  I have just fitted a top baffle in the sump pan as I was getting a drop in oil supply under heavy breaking if the oil level was not showing full on the dip stick. I haven’t checked the capacity yet, but will do on re-fill. As I have currently the sump off it appears that the full dip stick mark is about 7/8” below the crank and big ends at the bottom of travel.
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #31 on: Tuesday,February 18, 2020, 04:43:43 AM »
Are the dipsticks the same length to the stop?

Offline Favero

« Reply #32 on: Tuesday,February 18, 2020, 04:56:36 AM »
Should they not be?

Offline Fotog

• 72 Twin Cam
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday,February 18, 2020, 05:04:26 AM »
Thanks, Buzzer.  That's good information, but of course I was hoping that I seem to have an excess of oil when I fill it with the specified 9 pints because my dipstick tube is shorter than normal.  But maybe that's not the case; it's about the same length as yours.  I'll be interested to hear from you how much it takes to fill yours when you do it.

Are the dipsticks the same length to the stop?
That's a good question.  I'll measure mine today and report back.
Vince

Offline Fotog

• 72 Twin Cam
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday,February 18, 2020, 06:57:51 AM »
I measure my dipstick as 225 mm / 8-7/8 in.  From the full mark to the point where it seats against the tube.
-V

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #35 on: Tuesday,February 18, 2020, 09:43:59 AM »
I attached two photos of my dipstick.  My dipstick may have been modified from the original dipstick during the Coolaire AC installation by the dealer.  i am not sure.  It looks like the one on the RD website.

The first photo shows the mark I made (next to the last L on FULL)on the dipstick when I filled the engine with 9 us pints and the engine run for 5 minutes and set for an hour.

I cannot get to my dipstick tube because it is under the AC compressor.  I could not tell or remember what stops the dipstick in the tube.

Also, the dipstick is bent slightly to slide through a hole in the oil pan baffle I have welded in my oil pan.  The baffle is the same on sold by RD and Kelvedon in England.

« Last Edit: Tuesday,February 18, 2020, 09:46:30 AM by Pfreen »

Offline Fotog

• 72 Twin Cam
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday,February 18, 2020, 07:07:25 PM »
I cannot get to my dipstick tube because it is under the AC compressor.  I could not tell or remember what stops the dipstick in the tube.
Thanks for those pictures.  Assuming that your tube is similar to mine, it has a flare at the top.  The sharp u-bend (kink) in the dipstick rests against that flare.  I circled that on your dipstick in the photo below.  I also marked the full mark of your dipstick, and I see ~8-15/16 in. between the resting point and the full mark.  That's very close to the 8-7/8 in. I measure on mine.

For you, 9 pints brings the level to about 1/2 in. above the 'full' mark. 
On mine, 9 pints brings it to 5/8 above the full mark.
So, 1/8 higher on mine.  Not a big difference. 
All this assuming that the dipstick tubes are the same length.  Who knows?... but it was good (I suppose) to know that Buzzer's is the same length as mine. 
Right now I have 8-1/2 pints in it.  If I ever drive it farther than around the block, I'll keep an eye on things and see if all continues to look good; then maybe go for 9.  :-)
« Last Edit: Tuesday,February 18, 2020, 07:09:59 PM by Fotog »

Offline buzzer

« Reply #37 on: Saturday,February 22, 2020, 01:50:23 PM »
My dipstick 8 13/16 in length so close to 8 7/8   

Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline Fotog

• 72 Twin Cam
« Reply #38 on: Friday,February 28, 2020, 06:44:31 AM »
I meant to say:  Thanks, Dave.  Another piece of data.  But it all seems to add up to say that I have a bit of a mystery, as it looks like my dipstick and tube are probably near average dimensions yet the engine appears to be over-full by 28 oz.  That's with the specified 9 US pints of oil.

Vince