Author Topic: Transaxle Removal  (Read 218 times)

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
Transaxle Removal
« on: Wednesday,July 13, 2022, 06:10:47 PM »
After I hauled 659R Type 65 S2 out of a barn 12 years ago I knew the PO had driven it hard and I knew I’d have to replace the clutch eventually.
Well that time has come.  I have no knowledge or experience other than the Lotus Repair Manual.  The car is in a narrow conditioned space with the exhaust removed and ready for the disassembly of the rear suspension bits.

If anyone has first hand experience removing said transaxle and willing to share data or experiences not in the book, it would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
Bruce
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.

Offline BDA

Re: Transaxle Removal
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,July 13, 2022, 07:07:38 PM »
If your situation is the same as a "normal" S2 (or TC for that matter), taking the tranny out isn't that difficult.

Put the car on stands. Disconnect the lower links and the half shafts from the tranny. Disconnect all the other stuff connected to it as well: speedo cable, backup light switch, shift linkage, clutch cable, and whatever else an S2 might need. Unbolt it from the engine at the bell housing and all the mounts and then it pretty much comes off.

Your situation may be a little different than I anticipate but there really isn't much more to it than that.

Offline Kendo

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,July 13, 2022, 08:24:22 PM »
Do you have to support the engine, or do the mounts handle the lack of a tranny?

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,July 13, 2022, 08:33:53 PM »
I’m not familiar with the S2 motor mounts but I’ve never worried about supporting the engine on my TC. Without any supports it moves very little if at all. If you’re worried about the motor mounts, for your own peace of mind, by all means, put a support under it.

Offline Kendo

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,July 13, 2022, 08:36:38 PM »
Not worried. Just thinking about pulling the tranny for (finally) fixing the leaks,