Author Topic: Oil Temperature Renault Engine  (Read 278 times)

Offline Nero

Oil Temperature Renault Engine
« on: Monday,September 30, 2019, 08:04:21 AM »
I fitted a oil temperature gauge to the car and found the oil temps to be very high. The car does have an oil cooler. Even with a fan on the cooler the oil still goes up to 120degC. I’m not sure if I can thrust the gauge because the water doesn’t go up at all. The water goes as soon as the fan turned on just below 90degC on the gauge and stays there.
I’ve attached a picture, so you have an idea where the cooler is located.(bottom left corner) Does anybody have a gauge fitted for the oil temperature? I would like to know high the temp normally is.

Offline BDA

Re: Oil Temperature Renault Engine
« Reply #1 on: Monday,September 30, 2019, 08:19:25 AM »
First, test the gauge by putting the sender in boiling water. Second, it looks like from your picture that you are hoping that air from the engine compartment will flow through your cooler out behind the car. If I got that right, your cooler is not in a good place as most of the air will go out the vents on the boot cover (I know because I made the same mistake. Your cooler is not completely useless but much less effective than it might be. Is there any reason your oil temps would be too hot? Third, I read many years ago that oil temperature gauges were not normally put in cars because it would scare the driver.

Offline jbcollier

Re: Oil Temperature Renault Engine
« Reply #2 on: Monday,September 30, 2019, 09:02:00 AM »
Where are you checking your oil temp?  I prefer the oil pan.  Temperatures can be quite a bit higher after the oil pump when the oil is being “worked”.

Depending on the ambient conditions, and how hard you are driving, 120C is not excessive.  However, your oil cooler is in the wrong position for finding a cool air flow.  Here’s a link to where it does get cold air when mounted in the back:

https://www.prevanders.net/europa/oilsystem.html

I run a thermostat controlled oil cooler up front.  Exhaust air is ducted to the RH wheel well and simple plenum air pressure pushes air through.  With  20w50 conventional oil, the oil temp never exceeds 80C and usually stays not far off.  With synthetic of similar weight it seldom hits 60C unless I’m really pushing.  Though, again, never over 80C.
« Last Edit: Monday,September 30, 2019, 09:12:30 AM by jbcollier »