Author Topic: Alternative Battery Location  (Read 538 times)

Offline surfguitar58

Alternative Battery Location
« on: Tuesday,June 11, 2019, 07:01:29 AM »
In another thread I wave been whining and whinging about my “starter woes” which turned out to be a bad ground connection. This and other car problems can be traced back to the deceased previous owner’s decision to install an up-high racing style exhaust header and muffler. Now, I love my header, it gives the car a great exhaust note, presumably improves performance and, let’s face it, it looks cool to have the exhaust pipe exit the rear panel like a type 47, but the problem with the header is that it occupies space normally reserved for the brake boosters, boot tub, swirl-pot and battery. The DPO’s solution to this was to eliminate the brake boosters and the boot tub, relocate the swirl pot and move the battery to the front of the car.

I’m fine with eliminating the brake boosters, I probably would have made that mod myself. In another post I showed my boot-tub modification to accommodate the new muffler and swirl pot locations. This just leaves the battery up in the front of the car where it occupies the space where there should be a spare tire, leaves 10 feet of unsupported, heavy 2/0 AWG cable rattling around in the frame tunnel, waiting to wear through the insulation and start a fire, and a feeble ground connection to the frame that was the source of my so called “starter woes”. So, getting to the point of this post (finally), this is my solution to finding a better location for the battery.

I have always thought the otherwise unused triangular space between the chassis, diagonal brace and cross beam would be a good place for the battery, pretty much where they were in the early S1. Most “normal” car battery sizes won’t fit in this space but a little research found a Group 52 (commonly used in lawn tractors) mounted sideways (it’s an Odyssey AGM, so you can do that) fit nicely and put the terminals in a convenient location. I designed a battery box that was supported by the 3 frame members in CAD. I’m sure most of you reading this would have welded up a perfect little sheet metal box in a few minutes, however I lack the skill and equipment for sheet metal fab, so I stuck to what I know from many years of clumsy boat ownership, fiberglass. It would also be an opportunity to play with the 3D printer my old company abandoned with me after they laid me off a few years ago. I printed a plug mold (60 hour printer build time(!), next time I won’t go with the finest settings), faired it smooth, wax, PVA mold release and built it up with black gel coat and 3 layers of CSM (4 in the corners) and polyester resin. The resulting box is plenty strong enough and the few imperfections from the mold are hidden by the battery. And yes, I put drain holes in the bottom.

I’m sure there are many ways to skin this cat, but if anyone else would like to try this battery mounting approach, I would gladly pass along the plug mold for the price of shipping, with the understanding that the recipient would do the same.

Tom
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline BDA

Re: Alternative Battery Location
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,June 11, 2019, 07:19:38 AM »
Very nicely done, Surf! And very clever!  :welder:

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,June 11, 2019, 07:55:24 AM »
Very neat, I like it!

Considered making a lid for it?

Offline lotusfanatic

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,June 11, 2019, 08:15:15 AM »
Hello Tom,

what a tidy installation that is!  :coolpic:

Mark

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday,June 11, 2019, 09:22:19 AM »
Nicely done. Very tidy.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline dakazman

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday,June 11, 2019, 10:31:02 AM »
Nice work Tom, location is perfect, box is definitely first class. It seems also to be an excellent location for a breakout location in the wheel well for jumper cables without going over body , during those winter storage months.
 Is there a vented cover or cover for the box planned to keep debris out?

I have printer envy.
Dave

Offline JR73

• Banks Europa S2
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday,June 11, 2019, 12:34:32 PM »
Can't help but think that one for the other side could be used as a handy storage for whatever? - keeps things out of the boot box and also out of sight generally...?

Offline dakazman

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday,June 11, 2019, 03:39:14 PM »
Good point JR. I think surf has a good product and a definite improvement over the front battery location. Also the glass over the metal has less weight and less corrosion.
Dakazman

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday,June 11, 2019, 10:54:45 PM »
Nicely done Tom. I do worry about things mounted low in the field of Road debris and water, but I have no real experience of how much of that gets above the axle. Please do provide up dates after some road trips to hear about any potential issues.

Offline surfguitar58

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday,June 12, 2019, 03:43:08 AM »

Considered making a lid for it?

Is there a vented cover or cover for the box planned to keep debris out?

I have printer envy.
Dave

I do worry about things mounted low in the field of Road debris and water...

You guys have convinced me that a battery cover is in my future. Time to fire up the 3D printer!
t
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery