Author Topic: Torque wrenchs  (Read 805 times)

Offline brucelotus26r

Torque wrenchs
« on: Friday,February 15, 2019, 09:34:14 AM »
In rebuilding my Europa twin cam a lot of bolts are torque at low numbers from say 5 - 15 ft lbs.
As most torque wrench start around 10-20 ft lbs would make sense to use a 1/4 in lbs wrench instead?

Offline BDA

Re: Torque wrenchs
« Reply #1 on: Friday,February 15, 2019, 10:20:01 AM »
I don't think it's a bad thing to torque every - or most - bolts and nuts but I think don't think it's necessary either. For example, there is no specification for the torque on the bolts that attach the bell housing to the tranny. Using the "default" values listed in the TC manual listed under "GENERAL NUTS AND BOLTS" at the end of the Technical Data section could damage the soft aluminum threads. Other than bolts that are in a pattern (lugs, cylinder head, etc.) which should be observed to ensure that there is a good consistent seal and no warping, I take torque values as an indication of how tight to tighten a bolt or a nut.

Having said all that, if you're worried about the torque on those low torque bolts or nuts, you might want to invest in a 3/8 or 1/4 drive torque wrench. I would get the finest ratchet teeth you can. They are the most handy and quite often, fine ratchet teeth are found on the better brands.
« Last Edit: Friday,February 15, 2019, 12:08:36 PM by BDA »

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #2 on: Friday,February 15, 2019, 10:20:23 AM »
Yes, absolutely. When I bought my Europa I picked up a couple of smaller torque wrenches that work in the ranges needed for the low torque specs of many Europa fasteners. One was a Gearwrench 1/4 dr torque wrench with a range of 30-120 in/lbs (2.5 - 10 ft/lbs). It is a micrometer style wrench, but they make an electronic torque wrench that starts at 10 in/lbs (less than 1 ft/lb).

There are other brands of torque wrench of course, so do some shopping. It's best to choose a wrench in which the torque applications are in the middle of the range of the wrenches capabilities for maximum accuracy. Be sure any wrench you buy has a calibration certificate with it. Also, especially with torque wrenches that operate at low torque applications, it is recommended to have your torque wrenches calibrated once in a while. This is especially true if the wrenches are subjected to fluctuations of temperature extremes, and absolutely necessary if the wrench has been dropped.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Pfreen

« Reply #3 on: Friday,February 15, 2019, 11:00:43 AM »
An inch-pound torque wrench really helps to assemble the oil pan and valve cover with their cork gaskets.  They need to be torqued evenly and gradually, and not over-torqued.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Friday,February 15, 2019, 12:05:19 PM »
Properly selected, used and maintained torque wrenches are very useful.  Torque wrenches are used for applying final torque to fastener.  They should never be used for anything else.  Use regular wrenches, ratchets and breaker bars for disassembly and initial assembly.

A torque wrench that isn’t regularly calibrated is worse than useless.  High quality, properly stored, lightly and carefully used, should be calibrated at least once every two years.  That includes “beam” type torque wrenches as well — go ahead, ask me how I know :-)

Offline dakazman

« Reply #5 on: Friday,February 15, 2019, 04:30:53 PM »
The one other thing about always store your torque wrenches set to zero.
Dakazman