Author Topic: Need rebuild instructions for solex  (Read 1316 times)

Offline califkid_66

Need rebuild instructions for solex
« on: Tuesday,July 03, 2018, 05:51:38 PM »
I ordered a rebuild kit for my carb opened the box a bag full of parts but no instructions so I’m wondering if someone would have rebuild instruction like detailed step by step I looked but the only thing I found was an exploded view it doesn’t explain in the workshop Manuel
Thanks I really need this there are so many parts
Thanks in advance for your help

Offline BERNIEHUMBER

Re: Need rebuild instructions for solex
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,July 04, 2018, 05:25:40 PM »
HI:Here is a book on rebuilding Solex carbs:

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/product/9781855209770-item.html?s_campaign=goo-Shopping_Books&ds_rl=1254699&gclid=CjwKCAjw4PHZBRA-EiwAAas4ZlAoFlz-RqpPbDEtjby4EEhLB2JEBxJBptG9eS9OaUbVldao1lDcnxoC-6QQAvD_BwE

Its from Indigo/Chapters(Canada) and its 20 bucks.
Good luck as I rebuilt mine(28 years ago) before going Weber.

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,July 04, 2018, 06:00:59 PM »
Thanks I’m gonna check that out by the way I do have a Weber that came with the car but I’m gonna stick with the solex !
I’m gonna take it apart tomorrow and try to match the parts it was running great except for the internal leak which I suspect might be the float valve not closing thanks again for the info

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #3 on: Friday,July 06, 2018, 01:59:38 AM »
Was stuck on my solex rebuild I knew the needle valve was not closing causing a fuel leak inside the carb so it was either bad needle valve or float needs adjustment  I finally found this document which shows how to adjust the float

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #4 on: Friday,July 06, 2018, 11:34:23 AM »
That’s for a single barrel, air cooled VW carb.  Float adjustment is not the same.

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #5 on: Friday,July 06, 2018, 06:24:36 PM »
I just finished cleaning and reassembling my carb got new needle valve did not touch the float I tried it on the engine ran ok but started to leak again so im just gonna remove the top section and try to adjust the float to let a little less fuel in
While I was running the engine I notice the primary throttle was working fine opening and closing but then I tried reving a bit higher to see if the secondary throttle would open up and it didn’t  so I opened it a bit manually and it was working really nice I started to think maybe my secondary diaphram might not be working I took it off and it work nice when I apply succion to it ,when I look at the linkage the linkage for the primary throttle as to be move a lot to release the secondary so it can open but I still could not get it to open anyway I’m gonna try adjusting the float hoping it will solve the leakage

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #6 on: Friday,July 06, 2018, 08:54:11 PM »
The secondary only engages with the engine under a load.  Strong air flow through the primary generates the vacuum to open the secondaries.  Blipping the throttle won’t be enough.

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #7 on: Friday,July 06, 2018, 09:24:49 PM »
I double checked the Europa service manual and the Renault 16 manual.  Both have hardly anything for overhaul specs on the Solex carb.  The 16 also came with a Weber DIR carb.  That they list full specs for.

Back in the day, the Feds required carbs to be “tamper-proof”.  Manufacturers then made emission carbs that were not meant to be serviced.  Minimal parts and few specs were available and whole carbs being the preferred option.  All ok-ish when they were new but a disaster after that.

Myself, I would switch to a Weber carb.  It was a very common mod back in the day.  YMMV.

One other issue is with the stock air cleaner.  On a Renault, the inlet “snout” faces along the engine and is supported at its end.  There wasn’t room on the Europa so Lotus turned it sideways and left it unsupported.  This sets up a vibration that works the carb top loose.  I would safety wire the carb top screws to prevent this problem.  Don’t use thread locking compound.  That way lies disaster with stripped screw heads and worse.
« Last Edit: Friday,July 06, 2018, 09:26:56 PM by jbcollier »

Offline califkid_66

« Reply #8 on: Saturday,July 07, 2018, 03:49:07 AM »
Thank for all the info I am going to try adjusting the float I did not touch the adjustment it was running good apart from the leak  I do have a weber but I can see a little difference between them like the choke and the throttle linkage which are not the same so the plan is try to stop leak if it doesn’t stop I’ll try putting the Weber on