Author Topic: Back to Badges and Logos!  (Read 1125 times)

Offline katanaman

Back to Badges and Logos!
« on: Wednesday,November 14, 2012, 10:34:00 PM »
  I have been lining up the supplies to re-wire the S-2.  The ez wiring harness is here, and I am gathering up modern rocker style switches to use for the hazard switch -- one that will glow red, and perhaps a blue one to use for a dimmer.  The correct dimmer switch is at least $90, and mine functions, it's only that the stalk was snapped off who-knows-how-long ago.  I found that there is no mention anywhere in the manuals just where the hazard switch goes on the S-2 -- remember that all wiring was unhooked and that the p.o. covered the dash (and its markings) in that weird silver crap.  So, I have decided (again a point was made on this site in the past that the car is 'bastardized" with that 12A engine replacement) to at least replace the dash's layout with a more modern take -- I will leave all of the instruments in their original locations, but will bring new switches that glow when activated, for instance, and be both easier and cheaper to replace.  So... I have bought a nice piece of 1/2" laminate wood material - not plywood - that will have a decided wood appearance, but a slight butcher block look, in the hopes that this will not warp or crack like the original plywood.  I'm not going to throw that old pattern away, though...  Then, ez wiring's headlight switch will be a modern knob in black with the contemporary symbols we're all used to seeing on our new cars, and will pull out, with a matching windscreen wiper knob that twists on.  So, I won't need to track down decals to denote which switches do what!
  Once the dash is replaced, and I might not make that cut for a glove compartment (I never liked that hole appearance).  I had a cool pouch that had a velcro closure on my Firebird in the 1980's and this would look great here, and I might use this to cover access to my new modern fuse panel, and just mount it there.  Anyway, once the dash is ready, the instruments should go right in.  I will need to think about the circulation system compromising and that effect on the flow through ventilation, but it is certain I will need to re-establish the in dash vents somehow.  The cut out in the forward panel of the plenum under the bonnet was filled in for who knows what.  I have to determine what the engineers who started all of this had in mind.
  I will need to go back to my old town for a funeral soon, and will find out how to post photos about all of this -- I know you all want to see pics of all of this.  I feel that it is important to have you aware of what I am thinking of doing in case I am heading in a bad direction!!!
  Did anyone notice that S-2 on eBay with no engine or transmission going for $4807 yesterday?  The complete S-2 in Pennsylvania is up to $4701 and hasn't met its reserve yet.  Fun!
  Finally, and again, getting back to the logos, I have learned about the cloisonne badge on the hood.  Turns out that if you google cloisonne repair, that there are lots of people willing to get involved.  !   There is a place you'll find on the internet who will repair one for $250 - 350!!!  Apparently, if the material is cracked and chipped out, it can be replaced -- apparently, the "powdered enamels" are fired up at around 1400 degrees and kind of melted into glass -- that's how it's done!  Now I want to learn how to do this myself!  Sounds intriguing.  I know of a lady who does glass bead work and who has the torches and kilns I will need.  And, after she entered into this as a business after retirement, she travelled to Italy to really get serious with all of this!
  So... I was the guy who bought the black and silver hood badge on eBay, and also lost out on the transmission tool - once I found out others here were talking about it, I figured I shouldn't fight that one!!!  Gee thanks, Bainford!  When I get around to it, I think I might try out that source through the auto parts store (forgot its name for now) or even try to make my own one out of ABS pipe.  Years ago, I used ABS pipe to fabricate a temporary bicycle headset spacer until I ordered a real cool anodized one with a design on it.  Worked fine, and I know that the stuff holds up to that kind of stress.                                                          Until later, Dan

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
Re: Back to Badges and Logos!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,November 15, 2012, 08:30:51 AM »
    and also lost out on th transmission tool - once I found out others here were talking about it, I figured I shouldn't fight that one!!!  Gee thanks, Bainford! 

Oops! :-[
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline LeftAngle

• I don't say much, but when I do, I don't say much.
    • 0659R Photos
Re: Back to Badges and Logos!
« Reply #2 on: Saturday,November 17, 2012, 12:37:26 AM »
It looks like you and I are in similar situations.  I'm about ready to rip out the old wiring and start over and I've just put my dash together again.  I was lucky in that my dash was 90% OK.  There was some de-lamination and splitting of the veneer, but I got most of it back down and cut away the parts that were unrepairable.

I thought the cardboard glove box was tacky, so I lined it with black plastic and it looks just fine.  Having owned a number of Triumphs, I'm comfortable with there being no lockable glove box, but the PO had preserved the cutout portion of the dash and I plan to repurpose it into a proper door.  I have the hinges ready to mount, but I want to research

As you can see in the photo, the grain matches the surrounding material which I think looks quite nice.  To stem any future darkening, I sealed the finish with Cetol.  It's not high gloss, but I wasn't looking for that anyway.

I'll be anxious to hear how your wiring works out.
Yes, it's work...   No, I don't mind it.