Author Topic: Steering Columns from 72 to 73 - any different?  (Read 1177 times)

Offline HelpMyLotus

Steering Columns from 72 to 73 - any different?
« on: Friday,January 13, 2017, 07:02:08 PM »
I am looking at buying a steering column and wheel from a member here.  He has a 72 column and wheel with 3 holes per spoke.  From photos I have, my car had a wheel with 4 holes per spoke.  My car now has a quick release hub and a Grant wheel.  (For sale soon).  Does anyone know if there are ANY differences from the 72 (3 holes per spoke) wheel/column to the 73 (4 holes per spoke) wheel/column?  I'm not concerned with being 100% accurate with the car, but want to be sure we aren't wasting money and time shipping from state to state.

Offline BDA

Re: Steering Columns from 72 to 73 - any different?
« Reply #1 on: Friday,January 13, 2017, 07:16:28 PM »
We had a similar discussion on this forum about steering wheels and holes in the spokes. I have an original wheel in my car which was built in June or July '73. As far as I know, the TC steering wheels are all the same but some seem to have "thumb pads" that cover the outermost hole. At least that's what seem to be the case for the wheel in question at the time. Unfortunately, I'm not able to take the time for a thorough search but you may have more luck if you're more patient. Here's a picture of my steering wheel.

Offline Certified Lotus

« Reply #2 on: Friday,January 13, 2017, 07:59:00 PM »
The thumb covers hid the 4th hole. I think these are hard to find in original condition. This photo shows the rear of the thumb cover and you can see the 4th hole.

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #3 on: Friday,January 13, 2017, 11:11:12 PM »
I am looking at buying a steering column and wheel from a member here.  He has a 72 column and wheel with 3 holes per spoke.  From photos I have, my car had a wheel with 4 holes per spoke.  My car now has a quick release hub and a Grant wheel.  (For sale soon).  Does anyone know if there are ANY differences from the 72 (3 holes per spoke) wheel/column to the 73 (4 holes per spoke) wheel/column?  I'm not concerned with being 100% accurate with the car, but want to be sure we aren't wasting money and time shipping from state to state.

The number of holes per spoke is just as these guys have posted, my car is a UK '72 and originally came with a vinyl covered wheel with the thumb spats pressed over the ends of the spokes.

When you say "steering column", do you mean just the steel splined rod which connects wheel to lower column, or do you mean the switchgear as well, indicators, headlights, etc ?
AFAIK the steel splined column/rod is the same throughout but there was a change from the original Triumph Herald/Spitfire switchgear & binnacle to a neater and updated Triumph (?) binnacle which is bigger & has different switchgear & outer column.

I think it was just the Specials and BDA's photo shows the later version. My '72 car has the earlier & simpler version. It's shown in the parts manual and I suppose the wiring looms are slightly different.  I don't see any problems in fitting either assembly as long as you get all the bits needed.

Brian

Offline jlmullen2

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,January 15, 2017, 02:43:06 PM »
I may be interested in the quick release hub and Grant wheel when you get rid of them. Is the quick release a bolt-on or does it require some welding?

Thanks
Larry Mullen
73 Europa TC Special
97 Saleen 281
04 Subaru WRX

Offline HelpMyLotus

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,January 18, 2017, 09:00:58 AM »
I assume when I get the new (old) column and wheel I can just unbolt the whole shooting match and send it on.  Even if there is welding you wouldn't need to do any if replacing the whole thing.   

I'll repost here when I get it swapped.  Larry, you'll be the first to know.

Offline jlmullen2

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,January 18, 2017, 02:10:06 PM »
Thanks.

It seems to me that most of the quick release mounts I've seen are racing oriented and required welding onto the shaft. I don't plan on removing my steering shaft but will look forward to seeing what you have.

Larry Mullen
73 Europa TC Special
97 Saleen 281
04 Subaru WRX

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #7 on: Friday,January 20, 2017, 08:34:56 AM »
If you have a popular aftermarket steering wheel, there are quick releases the go between the steering wheel hub and the steering wheel.  They are available for three, six and nine bolt hubs.  Good ones are not cheap and you want a good one as cheap ones develop play.  There is nothing available for the stock wheel and hub.  Any QR will require either horn button relocation or adaptation to get a wheel mounted horn button working.

Offline HelpMyLotus

« Reply #8 on: Friday,January 27, 2017, 03:12:04 PM »
My horn is on the left stalk end.