Author Topic: Europa basket case  (Read 2974 times)

Offline davearkley

Re: Europa basket case
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday,December 13, 2016, 02:45:36 PM »
Thanks guys - I have just taken the windscreen out - what a job - well glued in with some black alien substance.
I will continue to strip it out - most of the bolts have just about dissolved and whats intact seem to be made of plastercine
Just wondering if a renault fuego turbo engine will go in and fit the gearbox - I know where there is an engine and box complete with only 40k miles
But I havnt seen it yet as its a long way from me.
anybody got any ideas?

Offline BDA

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday,December 13, 2016, 04:35:10 PM »
The Fuego turbo engine should mount directly to a 365 or an NG3. I don't know about the rest of that conversion. I don't think it's common. Probably the most common conversion is to a Ford Zetec which the PO was working toward. I guess you changed your mind about being "original"? A lot of people have made good cars with the Renault engine platform.

I'm a little confused about your direction. IIRC, you have a Spyder frame (with Zetec motor) and you're getting a Lotus frame. Which body do you have? What do you want to end up with?

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday,December 13, 2016, 09:37:05 PM »
Hi Dave,

I don't know if you've seen this page http://www.syer.net/donor_cars.htm, it's a list of engines and gearboxes with potential donors. It might help you decide if the Feugo engine will go.

I haven't seen a Spyder frame in detail other than a photograph on their website, but the impression I had was that it was more amenable to engine/gearbox swaps than the OEM Lotus S2, which is basically designed for the engine it's got.

Brian

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #18 on: Tuesday,December 13, 2016, 09:39:04 PM »
He mentions earlier being interested in Renault engines so I assume it's an S2.  Yes a Renault Fuego engine will "fit" but it will require mods depending on the configuration you choose.  If you want to keep the turbo, then you will have to custom make an exhaust manifold to suit.  If you lose the turbo, then you'll need to fit much higher compression pistons, etc.