Author Topic: Shaved doors  (Read 646 times)

Offline Gmg31

Shaved doors
« on: Wednesday,June 15, 2016, 06:24:05 AM »
Ok this may be sacrilege but I just watched Ed on Wheeler Dealers fit door solenoids and poppers to achieve the shaved door look on a 63 Corvair. Has anyone tried that?  I think shaved Europa doors would be stunning

Offline RoddyMac

Re: Shaved doors
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday,June 15, 2016, 07:24:15 AM »
Shaved doors are a bit too "Hot Rod" for me, but I do prefer the early door set up (S1 and early S2) with the push button and cut out behind the door.  The later "BMC parts bin" handles just don't do it for me.  But, to each their own.

Rod

Offline Chuck Nukem

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday,June 15, 2016, 07:34:56 AM »
I will second the S1 style doors. Nothing cooler than that little cut away in the body and one little button sticking out.

Offline Bainford

• Twin Cam 3682R
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday,June 15, 2016, 08:41:12 AM »
Another vote for S1 style door handles. Although I actually quite like the 'parts bin' door handles on my Special, the simplicity and minimalist approach demonstrated with the S1 door handles just screams Lotus. When the time comes to paint my car, I will be looking into incorporating the S1 door buttons/cut out.

I won't scream 'sacrilege' if you shave the door handles (in fact tolerance for such things is one of the things I love about the Lotus community), but even on full on American customs, I never liked the shaved door handles. Just a personal thing.
The Twin Cam plays the symphony whilst my right foot conducts the orchestra. At 3800 rpm the Mad Pipe Organ joins in.

Trevor

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,June 15, 2016, 11:18:51 AM »
Been looking with not a lot of urgency the last few years for replacement pushbutton door mechanisms similar to the S1. The only car with similar doors that I can recall is the Elise. If anyone knows of a cheaper source, please let me know. My passenger side door pushbutton is badly rusted.

Joji Tokumoto
Fallbrook, Ca

Offline kerrywittig

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,June 15, 2016, 11:26:06 AM »
I just ordered a variety of shaved door solenoids. I plan on shaving my doors.....I will have a write up in the thread I am about to start concerning this "project" during my rebuilding of my 1970 S2.

Me

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,June 15, 2016, 11:30:25 AM »
I like the TVR method of opening the door. A button on the underside of the wing mirror.

Result, perfectly smooth door surface, in fibreglass too.