Author Topic: Modifying air intake  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Gmg31

Modifying air intake
« on: Saturday,April 16, 2016, 02:45:05 AM »
Has anyone tried to fit an air scoop intake in the floor just in front if the fuel tank so it just drops down about 30mm and piped the air up towards the air filter. Just thinking out loud. I've just looked on eBay for air scoop intakes and there's loads of interesting options. This one is from a Land Rover  defender and I think it could be fairly easily modified to sit in that void just in front of  the fuel tank.

Offline buzzer

Re: Modifying air intake
« Reply #1 on: Saturday,April 16, 2016, 03:43:49 AM »
I presume you are looking for cooling air for oil cooler? Interesting position.

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #2 on: Saturday,April 16, 2016, 04:31:32 AM »
I would definitely avoid putting any air scoop near the bottom of the car, as it will scoop up water, mud, and general crap on the roads, unless you only drive on dry roads, or a racetrack.

Most air scoops are on the top or on the sides for a very good reason.

What are you trying to get more cold air to, and why?

Alex in Norfolk.

Offline Gmg31

« Reply #3 on: Saturday,April 16, 2016, 12:16:23 PM »
Yes those things had crossed my mind but when your car wasn't made with extra Air intakes I was trying to think creatively.  Mine has a four branch manifold and twin choke weber and I was thinking that the area around the air filter is going to be very warm.  If I piped in cooler air from down low near to the air filter it might help

Offline buzzer

« Reply #4 on: Sunday,April 17, 2016, 12:15:38 PM »
I definately wouldn't use any under bodied air scoop for intake air. Imagine wet road the amount of water it could pick up.  For cooling air it will probably work well for a track car if you are feeding an oil cooler.

Dave
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #5 on: Sunday,April 17, 2016, 08:42:53 PM »
Primary air intake for the engine compartment is from underneath already.  Air exits out the engine cover.  If you have an S1 or S2, the other air intake is through the rear grill area.  Unfortunately, this mostly recirculates the already warm air that exited the engine cover.  The best source for new, fresh air is to install the NACA ducts used on some 47s.