Author Topic: Handbrake cable  (Read 4158 times)

Offline Runningwild

Re: Handbrake cable
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday,April 13, 2016, 08:22:07 AM »
I removed the entire hand brake assembly.  Hated dealing with it. I'm installing an electric one like on the new cars.  Little motor bolted to rear shock brace or trans and cables run to the emergency brake arms.  Flick of a switch does it.  its all theory right now but I'll work out the details.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday,April 13, 2016, 08:50:18 AM »
Once you remove the C clips in the tunnel which hold the cable outers in place, the cables will pull back towards the engine until the inner cable is showing. This inner will then easily slide along to the central hole.

You then feed each outer in turn into the tunnel, and the whole lot pops out for easy working in a vice.

You need to undo from the horseshoe the spring from threaded bar to back hole, and both 1/2" nuts, to detach the bar/cable which comes from the reaction bar in the front plenum chamber.   

Alex in Norfolk.

Offline rascott

« Reply #17 on: Wednesday,April 13, 2016, 09:40:57 AM »
This inner will then easily slide along to the central hole

ahh, the central hole.
this is what is missing on my unit........
richard

Offline 4129R

« Reply #18 on: Wednesday,April 13, 2016, 09:51:39 AM »
This inner will then easily slide along to the central hole

ahh, the central hole.
this is what is missing on my unit........
richard

When looking from the engine side, the chassis on a TCS has a horizontal slot about 4" wide, and about 1/4" in depth. To each end of this horizontal slot is a round hole about 1/2" in diameter in which the hand brake cables fit. In the middle is a central hole about 1 1/4 in diameter which is big enough to feed the cables through from the centre of the chassis to the rear of the chassis Y. To one part of the central hole, there is a small hole to clip the spring to, which tensions the threaded bar (which passes through the horseshoe and has two 1/2" nuts to adjust the whole hand brake cable system) and cable to the reaction lever.

Offline rascott

« Reply #19 on: Wednesday,April 13, 2016, 06:12:10 PM »
better pic of brake cable slot......(?)
'69 s2
« Last Edit: Wednesday,April 13, 2016, 06:16:06 PM by rascott »

Offline 4129R

« Reply #20 on: Wednesday,April 13, 2016, 10:34:18 PM »
I see the problem !

Offline buzzer

« Reply #21 on: Thursday,April 14, 2016, 01:33:49 AM »
Hole cutter or dremel then to make the hole?
Dave,

Other cars. Westfield SEiW. BMW E90 Alpina D3. BMW 325 E30 convertible and Range Rover CSK

Offline Alan K

« Reply #22 on: Friday,April 15, 2016, 03:30:03 PM »
I've been over to Banks Engineering today (luckily not too far from me) and spoken to Richard to try to resolve the issue of the handbrake cable fouling the cooling pipes. He told me that the horseshoe should be horizontal and given this, it is  inevitable that the handbrake cable will foul the cooling pipes as the entry point for the handbrake cable is below the  pipes. He advises that although this is quite normal he sleeves the cooling pipes with short  polyethylene pipe (1 1/4" )   on his cars, cutting a pipe down its length to retro fit) before securing with cable ties.
« Last Edit: Friday,April 15, 2016, 03:37:58 PM by Alan K »

Offline EuropaTC

• LotusLand
« Reply #23 on: Friday,April 15, 2016, 11:08:45 PM »
I've been over to Banks Engineering today (luckily not too far from me) and spoken to Richard to try to resolve the issue of the handbrake cable fouling the cooling pipes. He told me that the horseshoe should be horizontal and given this, it is  inevitable that the handbrake cable will foul the cooling pipes as the entry point for the handbrake cable is below the  pipes. He advises that although this is quite normal he sleeves the cooling pipes with short  polyethylene pipe (1 1/4" )   on his cars, cutting a pipe down its length to retro fit) before securing with cable ties.
Oh, that's a good idea Alan, thanks for posting. It should cut down friction if nothing else ?
Brian