Author Topic: Speedhut GPS Speedo  (Read 1157 times)

Offline LotusJoe

• Twink Driver
  • Administrator
  • Forum Administrator
    • LotusEuropa.org
Speedhut GPS Speedo
« on: Thursday,April 02, 2015, 01:18:09 PM »
4380r, you put a Speedhut Speedo in your car. What size did you buy?

Joe Irwin
3927R TC Special
(The Classic Barn Find)

Offline BDA

Re: Speedhut GPS Speedo
« Reply #1 on: Thursday,April 02, 2015, 01:37:11 PM »
Hey, Joe,

I think I remember 4380r sold his car. If you get the Speedhut GPS speedo, you want the 3 3/8". It's a little too big so you have to do a little trimming on the instrument binnacle, but from the picture he posted, you can make it work. Smiths also sells an electronic speedo that you can use a GPS antenna for input. It's closer to the original gauges and of course can he had in the standard 80mm size. I have one and I really like it. I think it might be a little more expensive, but for me it was worth it because I didn't have to take the risk of buggering up my binnacle and it is a better match.. You can get them here: gaugeguys.com. The GPS antenna is on the accessories page (http://www.gaugeguys.com/accessories.html). Oh, the speedos come with a half-V bezel, but the can fit a half round one so it's more like the original gauges.
« Last Edit: Thursday,April 02, 2015, 02:02:24 PM by BDA »

Offline blasterdad

« Reply #2 on: Thursday,April 02, 2015, 07:19:54 PM »
Great link, their restorations are amazing also.  8)

Offline BDA

« Reply #3 on: Thursday,April 02, 2015, 07:41:42 PM »
Nisonger is someone I've used in the past for restoring gauges. They fixed a temp gauge that I had broken the capillary tube on. It was a long time ago and I think it cost as much as a new gauge. I also had them go over all my gauges before I put them in the car. That wasn't cheap either, but they were the only ones I knew could do it. [I just took a look at their website and they don't list an electronic speedo and they don't list prices for anything] I don't know if these guys are any cheaper for that sort of thing, but I've found their service to be pretty good and they say they are able to do silkscreening (for the dials). Some of my gauges don't really match: I have a temp gauge with a red pointer and an oil pressure gauge with slightly different markings. Someday when I have more money than brains (oops! I might have that already!  :) ), I might get them silkscreened to match, but for now...