Author Topic: Hi, new member, VIN/registration in California?  (Read 1655 times)

Offline plaid

Hi, new member, VIN/registration in California?
« on: Tuesday,March 15, 2016, 10:23:01 PM »
Hi, I am a car enthusiast, some makes more than others.

I mostly thought Lotus cars would be unobtainable, money pits or something I couldn't get exactly like I wanted.

That is starting to change for me and the Europa is my target.  There are a few reasons, first if I can register a car as a kit or an original with a 1973 model year or older, it will be smog exempt which means I can hot rod it, DIY EFI, headers, etc.  Second, the Europa is inexpensive compared to a used Elise.  Lastly if I start with a cheap and rough basket case I won't be concerned with originality.

I was thinking of building a Bauer Catfish but a Europa is more exotic and nostalgic for me.

Long ago I got to work on a Europa racer.  It had big fender flares, very wide rear tires, a twin cam engine with sky high compression and 10,000 rpm red line.  It had spun and crunched the left rear of the chassis and I got to do the chassis repair.  I cut apart the crunched portion of the chassis to see how it was assembled from several pieces of sheet metal, then created a mirror image of the right hand side but copying any differences that I could see in the left.  It was a good repair but flexible enough that the engine had to be jacked up in a very particular way to get the bolt holes to line up.  I'm thinking the engine and transmission were stressed members.

I was intrigued by that car, it was very simple and had a suspension more like a sports racer than a street car but it had a wind screen, roof and passenger seat.  It can even be licensed for the street so its dual purpose.  It doesn't even weigh very much more than a sports racer.

So back to the question, which part of a Europa is the part that gets registered?

Hopefully I can find a project car close enough to what I want that is a California car, otherwise I have to do the "specially constructed vehicle" route which is more work...

Any way I go, I would update the running gear for durability, availability of spares and performance (like big brakes and 15" wheels).

The Banks cars are intriguing.  One thing I haven't seen is the budget people need to build one up.

That is a long term project for me.  If I am really lucky I might be able to think about buying a car in 2017 and then begin the perpetual project.

Offline rascott

Re: Hi, new member, VIN/registration in California?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday,March 15, 2016, 10:55:05 PM »
re:california registration.
i purchased a project that was registered non-op.
that ment i only needed proof of insurance, and pay the registration fees when i went to license it.
since it was pre 1975(1969), it did not require smog.
other situations may require lamp and brake certificates, such as lapsed registration or probably out of state transfers(?).
....as i understand it....
all doable, and i've found the dmv easy to work with, aside from the long lines. they have a form for everything.
richard

oh yea, i guess all you really need is a title and a vin plate(that shows unit# on title).
« Last Edit: Tuesday,March 15, 2016, 11:18:31 PM by rascott »

Offline plaid

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday,March 15, 2016, 11:16:56 PM »
Thanks, that is encouraging.

I still wonder if I buy a car but have to re-body or re-chassis, what do I have to do to ensure I can keep the original title?

Offline rascott

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday,March 15, 2016, 11:20:38 PM »
keep the vin plate w/unit#.

Offline 4129R

• Location: Norfolk, United Kingdom, not far from Hethel the home of Lotus.
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday,March 16, 2016, 03:27:24 AM »
The Vin plate is under the front hood, next to the heater blower. Black and Silver with big Lotus lettering on it. Held in place by 4 aluminium pop rivets only.

Offline Grumblebuns

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday,March 16, 2016, 08:58:16 AM »
For a pre 1975 California titled car, all you need to transfer ownership is a title and proof of insurance, if the registration is current. If the car is Non-op, just pay the transfer fees and sales tax. There is no VIN verification required. If the registration has lapsed without going Non-op, then you have to pay the back registration fees plus penalty. The back fees can be substantial. Last year, I decided to re-register my TCS that had been parked since 1992. Because I had neglected to Non-op it before I parked it, the back fees were around $750 IIRC.

For out of state cars, a VIN verification will be required. This can be done at the DMV, Auto Club, CHP or the commercial registration outfits. The car doesn't have to be running but it does have to be somewhat "complete". I once tried to transfer title for a 1962 Mini that was completely stripped, just a rolling chassis. The DMV inspector when he saw the Mini gave me a WTF look, and told me I'm wasting his time.

With just the California title and preferably the three plates with the VIN numbers, I believe a person can build a Europa from scratch, essentially a kit car and have it registered in California.
« Last Edit: Wednesday,March 16, 2016, 09:14:38 AM by Grumblebuns »

Offline jbcollier

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday,March 16, 2016, 08:59:19 AM »
The frame is stamped with the VIN as well. Very early Europas have it on a plate on the frame but most are stamped right onto the frame.

The engine and transaxle are rubber mounted and do not add much to torsional rigidity.

Offline EuropatcSPECIAL

• Europa Special 74, Elan Sprint 73
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday,March 16, 2016, 10:22:24 AM »
Warm welcome Plaid :Welcome: :lotus: